Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Floor Mat Question

Hello,
Just picked up my 2012 Ford E250.
I need some floor mats. I done some searching here and see that everyone likes highlander, husky, weathertech.
My question is:
I have the factory rubber floor in my van. No carpeting. These mats all claim that they need to be used over carpet.
Perhaps this is b/c they dont want them moving around causing issues with the accelerator pedal.
Does anyone have any info on floor mats over the factory rubber flooring?
Is it really an issue to use these mats without carpeting?

Thanks

jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

Not just moving around... The little grippy-pegs on the bottom of good mats, when placed on vinyl flooring, can be as slick as ice.

You might want to stick with the cheapo universal mats that are only rubber-backed.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm using the brand Husky Liner, specifically these: https://www.huskyliners.com/Classic-...350-super-duty They too mention installing them over factory carpeting however their shape allows them to fit snugly over top of the rubber-ish mat and not slip around.

(If visiting that link pay no attention to the images---look instead at the PDF installation guide for a better idea of their real shape.

They'll sit in place without slippage since they're "caught" between the seat base, the dog house and front of the floor where it turns upward towards the firewall.

I've had the same set in three different vans and they're seemingly indestructible. Beat to death to be sure but still 100% able to capture and retain any crap on shoes or boots we're prone to drag in.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

Garage
^^^ sames with my highlanders. fit is so good that they rarely move around, even installed on the oem rubber floor.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post
Hello,
Just picked up my 2012 Ford E250.
I need some floor mats. I done some searching here and see that everyone likes highlander, husky, weathertech.
My question is:
I have the factory rubber floor in my van. No carpeting. These mats all claim that they need to be used over carpet.
Perhaps this is b/c they dont want them moving around causing issues with the accelerator pedal.
Does anyone have any info on floor mats over the factory rubber flooring?
Is it really an issue to use these mats without carpeting?

Thanks
I have Husky mats over OEM hard rubber floor. Had them for about 5 years. They work well but they do move. I bought some thin cheap soft rubber mats to put under them to keep them from moving.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your advise.
I ordered the Husky liners.
I guess if they slide around I could remove the nubs on the back side.
I read somewhere that someone used one of these Husky Liners for getting unstuck in snow and it did no damage to the floor mat.

JSO
Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post
I read somewhere that someone used one of these Husky Liners for getting unstuck in snow and it did no damage to the floor mat.
JSO
Never ceases to amaze me what can be learned on the Forum - I now find myself with an additional piece of "recovery gear" I never envisioned using as such...and at no additional cost to me!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

Garage
^^^ I had a gf way back that used her clothes to get unstuck from a snowdrift. you know it’s a bad spot when your fashionista girl uses spendy clothes to free her car. I’d never heard that would work but it was something her dad taught her. I now keep an old jacket (his original words to her) in the vehicles as another double duty item. the jacket is also handy to wear for in the field fixes when you gotta crawl around under the rig.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #9

I think I have just found a good use for my old Carhartt jacket.
Thx.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ I had a gf way back that used her clothes to get unstuck from a snowdrift. you know it’s a bad spot when your fashionista girl uses spendy clothes to free her car. I’d never heard that would work but it was something her dad taught her. I now keep an old jacket (his original words to her) in the vehicles as another double duty item. the jacket is also handy to wear for in the field fixes when you gotta crawl around under the rig.
Na, that's way too simple Shenrie. I think you need a $20k 4wd conversion, a $1k winch on a $2k bumper, a $500 set of Maxtrax, $spendy synthetic line, shackles and other winch gear, friends with a cooler of beer and a camera, a drone for HD Instagramming of the whole event, sat phone, PLB, premium roadside assistance subscription for big rigs, 2 spare tires, a Pull Pal, dirt bike on rear bumper for retrieving more beer or friends (or possibly help) and most definitely safety glasses.

....at least that's what I keep in my pocket in case I lose traction.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote