Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #1

Forced Air Furnaces

Hi folks.

I'm a newb here, so let me start of by saying hello to you all. I've been doing a lot of research on camper vans lately and have decided a Sportsmobile might be the way to go. Those penthouse suites are fantastic for what I'm looking to do.

I never see that a furnace comes with any of these units. Am I to assume they do? Up here in Alberta, Canada, it can get pretty cold at night. I'd really like to find something 5-25 years old to go camping with. Predonimantly, I'd lke to take it on weekend trips to play in golf tournaments; however, I'd probably want to go on one giant road trip a year.

If the furnace is not included, how hard would it be to install something like this that can run on propane?

Have a great weekend!

Vince.

Vincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #2

Re: Forced Air Furnaces

Many SMB's have a Suburban propane furnace installed. Maybe half have a furnace. Some owner's opt to build without propane and forgo the furnace and stovetop.

If a van was built without propane, adding a furnace would be more of a challenge because you would also have to add propane (unless you go for a gas or diesel fired furnace).

But, adding propane can be done. See the Hal the Van wite up in the Homemade section of this forum.

Westfalia frequently add a ProPex heater, and they have been fitted into SMB's also.

Furnace equipped SMB's are out there, and adding one is not impossible. Go for it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, sir.

I guess most of the places I'm seeing these bad-boys for sale are in the south--furnace not as necessary. I'd hate to try and do something like this myself--the Hal thread is awesome !!

Vince.
Vincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #4

Hello Vince,

Sorry, but if you live in Canada you probably won't be able to import a Sportsmobile. I looked into it earlier and couldn't do it unless things have changed since then. I had Coast Outfitter and RV, the folks who build the GTRV, in Richmond, BC do my conversion - Roy and his crew do incredible work. You can see the different models at http://gtrv.com or have a look at mine at http://monsoonpress.com/?page_id=1718

You can reach Roy at 604-304-3243 or coastoutfitter <coastoutfitter@telus.net>

There are a few folks on this list who have had conversions done there and I think that they have been pleased with the work. And yes he can install a furnace. He will also do custom work.

cheers, Ian
MonsoonPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

Wow, Ian, what a great slideshow.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Vince,

Another cautious note about importing into Canada. This is an older thread, but it explains the problems with importing an SMB into Canada.

Also, more props for Roy at Coast Outfitter in Richmond. You can see my GTRV in this thread.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Wow, Ian, what a great slideshow.
Thanks, glad you liked it.

cheers, Ian
MonsoonPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #8

Vince, Coast outfitters did my van. You can look at my gallery to get an idea of the work they do. It has a furnace that runs on propane with an electric fan.
pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote