Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #1

Ford van interior cargo wires question

I am in the process of doing my van interior and along the top driver side of the van is the wires running from the front to the back lights of the van. My question is why didn't ford hide these wires inside the space between the exterior van walls and the interior ribbing that runs along the top?

Is it possible to hide the wires in there at all? I'm not. That good of an electrician but would like to have those wires hidden if possible. It looks like it's doable but I'd hate to disconnect wires if it's not doable so has anyone else done this at all?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Those wires along the top
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

They are normally hidden by the stock interior trim panels and headliner which come on passenger vans or cargo vans with the insulation package. Running them through the double-wall body panels would make installation harder, and would make modifying or even diagnosing nearly impossible.

Are you not adding interior wall panels to your van?
Old 09-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

I am doing interior walls. I am buying the inlad carpet walls and it just screws right on. Full sized panels that are one piece. The panels will have to lay on top of that wire then instead of laying flush. I guess it's not a terrible issue but thought it to be easier if the wires were just ran inside that void in the top. The wires run along the void, across the back on the void and down either side to the break lights along the void. Idk why they just wouldn't run all the wires in the void and have them all hidden. Seams most logic usually when there's a failure it's at either connection point and not mid wire.(unless the wire is of course broken or hit but an interior wire as such wouldn't come in contact with anything)
Old 09-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
My backup circuit shorted somewhere behind the walls and I had to install a whole new run under the cab along the frame all the way to the back. Pulling the inside cabinetry apart was not an option IMO. If I were doing a new van I'd make it where you could fish a new harness.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
If I were doing a new van I'd make it where you could fish a new harness.
Wire chases are great....I just couldn't think that far ahead when doing a free-form home build.....and there really isn't much spare space for them.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Wire chases are great....I just couldn't think that far ahead when doing a free-form home build.....and there really isn't much spare space for them.....
Yeah, neither did I. For whatever reason I figured having the wires in some sort of plastic conduit would be a good idea. I don't know what caused the short. Rubbing? SMB put a screw through it and it finally went? Varmint?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

If you could build some sort of box plenum or chase to hide the wiring, it could make electrical add-ons much easier in the future. I wish my wiring was not as hard to access....
Old 09-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

^^^^^what he said....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Well took me about an hour full start to finish with removing all three rear break lights and installing them back but it's done. I took the whole wire assembly and ran it inside the ribbing in the wall. It's nice and clean with no wires showing anymore
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg