Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #11

J-

My take is as follows.

A. I have always had a huge issue with SMB's routing of water lines, the flat plate outside the van, etc. from a freezing perspective. That's why I redid my plumbing layout. See:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ ... rowse/bc41

where I posted photos of the mod.

B. Since you seem to like freezing temps, I argue you need to reroute your water lines ANYWAY. When I did my mod, I ensured that I could drain my fill line (which is outside the insulation) and still use the interior lines. This means you can't be at an outside water source and pull from it directly to the sink, but whatever.

C. Thus, I'd recommend.... cutting that upper line that goes up into the van to...????? and capping it off for starters. Yes, water will come down through that line when you cut it, but it can't be that much water....? That should solve the immediate problem

D. To fully address the problem, I argue you need to do as I did in my pics: ensure that the fill line that goes to the outside is separate from your distro system so that you can drain it separately. That way it won't ffreeze with water in it again, and possibly crack inside your wall... again.
Note: the PEX tubing they use can take freeze/thaw cycles, but eventually it will fail.

Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Sounds like a great Rally technical session: "Stand Around Dringking Beers by Firelight, Offering Unsolicited Advice while Jage Tears Apart his Plumbing".

Herb

I'm an expert at all of that. so bummed I can't make it.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
BC

Thought I would update the thread as i finally solved my issue -- continuous on off cycling of the pump after the pipes thawed and I got water flowing again.

i checked all around for leaks, none obvious. Checked all fittings, city water connection, etc. Nothing. Pump on, water coming out just fine. BUT with spigots closed, all valves shut, pump continues to cycle on-off every few seconds.Argh!

With no obvious leak, I am thinking --,must be the pump. So I removed the output line and capped it. Pump turned on, then shut off and stayed off. So its working as it should. The problem has to be somewhere in the system. So then I drained the whole system, and connected to city water, not sure why-hoping maybe something would free up. Without the pump on, just city water pressure, I notice the fill valve at the tank, the T-shaped grey one, is allowing some water to drip back into the tank eventhough its supposed to be closed. I turn it on and off and its not really closing all tbe way. Bingo. There is my problem. Replaced it and everything checked out, pump cycles and shuts off fine.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #14

Congrats on the fix BC! Sure is nice when you can get an elusive problem fixed.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
BC

defintely...esp when it was a low-cost and relatively easy fix in the end. And I now know a lot more about the plumbing, just about every elbow, valve, drain, etc. Thought I knew it before but more uuh, intimately now...
BC is offline   Reply With Quote