Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Fuel filler hose falure

Hello
Has anyone else had the fuel filler hose fail. I have a 2009 E350 V 10 quigley and I went to get fuel and after about 4 gallons went in the tank the filler hose completly broke in two and spilled about a gallon of gas on the ground. I looked at it and the hose was in 2 pieces?? Good thing I wasnt far from home! I took the van to ford for a waranty repair and the ford tech said it was cut in a attempt to steal my gas. I noticed that the hose was about to fail in another spot and because the 4 gallons went in the tank I know it was not cut. Ford offered to sell me a replacement hose for $240 plus labor. I declined because I found one for $100 on the internet and its a 5 minute repair. The ford dealer then tried to hold my van hostage stating it wasn't safe to drive and it could explode. I schooled them on flamable liquid storage tanks and eplosive limits of gasoline and took my van. I bought a much better made fuel hose for $15 dollars at a local hose store and made the repair. Not the first time Ford has not honored their waranty.
If this was a bad part It seems to me that some of the members on this forum must have had a simular problem?

tuffcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Fuel filler hose falure

I haven't had this problem on a van, but did on an E350 class C motorhome. O'reilley had the hose for about $20 and I did it myself as well.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Re: Fuel filler hose falure

No matter what that sucks. I am going to look at my 2008 van right after this.

One thing I can say is that if its the hose from the body to the tank it was apart when Quigley had the tank out to modify it. Did it look like someone cut it? I guess that's one way to steal gas the other way is just open the filler door and remove the cap and siphon it out unless you have a locking one.

If it was cut intentionally I would think about where it was parked, if any fuel was missing and keep the fuel low for now.

Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcap
Hello
Has anyone else had the fuel filler hose fail. I have a 2009 E350 V 10 quigley and I went to get fuel and after about 4 gallons went in the tank the filler hose completly broke in two and spilled about a gallon of gas on the ground. I looked at it and the hose was in 2 pieces?? Good thing I wasnt far from home! I took the van to ford for a waranty repair and the ford tech said it was cut in a attempt to steal my gas. I noticed that the hose was about to fail in another spot and because the 4 gallons went in the tank I know it was not cut. Ford offered to sell me a replacement hose for $240 plus labor. I declined because I found one for $100 on the internet and its a 5 minute repair. The ford dealer then tried to hold my van hostage stating it wasn't safe to drive and it could explode. I schooled them on flamable liquid storage tanks and eplosive limits of gasoline and took my van. I bought a much better made fuel hose for $15 dollars at a local hose store and made the repair. Not the first time Ford has not honored their waranty.
If this was a bad part It seems to me that some of the members on this forum must have had a simular problem?
The OEM Ford one comes with the filler neck assembly that you put the gas nozzle into so they think it's worth that much money .......
Have the dealer check into the emissions warranty on that hose, if your modified tank did not directly cause the hose failure, they can't use that for an out.

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #5

The hose did not look cut to me and if it was the gas would have leaked out imediatly but like I said about 4 gallons went in the tank before the hose broke. The fire station where I work and the van gets parked at is in a questionable area. I don't think I was missing any fuel but also while i was doing the repair i could see that there is a screen that wouldn't allow a hose into the tank.

I first went to autozone,Oreily,Napa and none of them had the hose. The stock hose is 1 1/8 inch at the filler and 1 1/2 inch at the tank so i couldn't just buy a peice of hose. I did make a temporary patch with a piece of PVC pipe and 2 hose clamps. So in a pinch you could make that work temporarly.
tuffcap is offline   Reply With Quote