Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Site Team

Fuel storage (additives)

I'm getting more of my household emergency supplies squared away, and part of that includes storing some amounts of gas and diesel. I've use Sta-Bil for my weedeater, two stroke fuel, but I'm wondering what anyone else has used for storing either gas or diesel?

I'm not overly concerned about long-term storage. My plan would be to rotate the stored fuel into my vehicles every 2-3 months or so. Long enough not to be a major pain, but at the same time, longer than I want to leave the fuel untreated. Maybe I'll do 3-4 months.

Herb

Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #2

Re: Fuel storage (additives)

I rotate gasoline on a yearly bases. Formulations these days are very good...stable.

My opinion

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I've heard diesel doesn't spoil as fast as gasoline and was told it should last a year. True?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

I have learned a little bit about gas. If your gas has ethanol in it, it is not very stable at all. In fact, it can go bad in three months or less. I bought a new BMW motorcycle last winter. It sat for half a winter in a heated garage. When I started to run it in the spring, it quit and would not start. The dealership blamed the ethanol in the fuel and replaced the injectors under warranty. (lots of info on Ethanol on the web, from producing lots of water in the fuel to breaking down interiors of some fuel tanks) They recommended a product called Startron. A marine engine company did a comparison of all the fuel/ethanol stabilizers and Startron was the best, followed by the new Sta-bil for fuel with Ethanol (not the regular Sta-Bil that we have all used for years). I like the Startron because it uses a small amount per gallon of gas. I have had no problems with my motorcycles since I started adding Startron when I know they are going to sit. I even put it in my Honda generator. Interesting, when the BMW injectors were plugged the dealership had to test the fuel in the tank to make sure the ethanol was at 10% or less to get it covered under warranty. I wonder what will happen now that our congress has passed E15 which allows for 15% ethanol in the fuel instead of the E10 which we have had for a few years now. I've read a lot about Ethanol and it is just crap. It may reduce our dependence on foreign oil a bit, but most car and truck owners have noticed a drop in fuel mileage that more than offsets the gas we get from corn. It has raised the price of corn which has hurt the world food supply.

My thoughts would be to take ethanol out of regular and premium fuel altogether and turn the mid grade tank at gas stations into E85 gas for vehicles that run on flex fuels (few people use the mid grade anymore). This would allow engines that hate ethanol to run on ethanol free gas and flex fuel vehicles can run on 85% ethanol.

For those interested, there is a web site that prints the gas stations in every state that sell ethanol free gas. I think it is www.pure-gas.org.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

California gas is crap, my vintage bikes hate it carbs gum up after week or so of sitting, I use a product called Seafoam in my gas in the bikes and the smb. I tend to keep the smb between half and full, and drive it very little if at all during the week.