Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #31
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
As traffic is getting faster over time, current data is probably relevant as well.
Yup. The time I eked out 19 mpg in a Club Wagon was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where at the time the highest speed limit was 55 mph. It was mostly 60 mph, and all on the flat, which meant I could use overdrive.

When I live now it's hilly, traffic moves along at 65-70 mph, and with the 302 V-8 I just can't hold overdrive on most hills. I like it when I come up on a slow semi, because then I can back off and use them as an excuse to drive slower without annoying people.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #32

My boat averaged 1 mpg, so the van is a huge improvement. 2001 5.4, 410's 33in tires, 4wd, 8200lbs, I probably average 10 to 11mpg. No matter how much it costs to fill up though, it's always less than the cost of a crappy hotel room and there are never any hotels where I camp anyway, so it's always a win. If I were on a more limited budget, I would just camp more and drive less, but I'm still going to get out there as often as possible.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf View Post
I have not driven my diesel Sprinter south of the border yet, but understand that the diesel may, at times, not meet the sulphur standards that U.S., Canada, and Mercedes recommend. Also, one person told me that it may be a tad difficult to find the BlueTec additive south of the border, so you may need to bring a supply along?
Since we drive a 7.3 we didn’t pay that much attention to the availability of DEF. We did see ultra low sulfur and have friends that drove a Euro 5 Iveco around Africa, South America, Central America, and are currently in Mexico (1 of 2 Euro 5 Ivecos on the PanAm we know of personally). Another friend drove a Euro 5 VW van southbound from the States and had to regen often but his van was running fine when we last saw him in Ushuaia. We also came across a newer Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter from Turkey, also southbound. Our point is, it can be done with a modern engine and a lot of due diligence. We can’t say we noticed ultra low sulfur everywhere, or DEF, but search the Pan American Travelers Association group in FB if you are considering heading south. As the US and Europe keep making stricter requirements the diesel available around the world tends to be slowly catching up.

We will say, many choose gas or older diesel vehicles to not have to worry about it. Unleaded octanes are also different so taking a performance car isn’t advised but someone did drive it in a Porsche sports car...obviously the short coastal route skipping the rigorous off road tracks.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
I have a 1998 E250 EB50 with 5.4L V8 SOHC 16V, 2WD and Michelin Defender LT225/75R16 (Load Rating E). I get 18mpg consistently. Of course, I drive no faster than 65mph.

I was originally looking at VW Eurovan Campers. They get 18-22, but even at 14mpg, you will never be sorry you bought a Sportsmobile.
UPDATE: I drove from Dodge City Kansas to Wisconsin, 2-1/2 tanks of gas and got 20.2mpg.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote