Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #21

Re: Gas vs diesel SMB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfiredude
yvrr (or anyone else with a V10), do you do much technical off road 4x4ing with your V10 (low gear creeping over technical terrain for long periods of time)? After reading other peoples posts I'm curious as to how the V10 does in this type of situation since it does not have the low end torque like a diesel. I know I will be doing mostly hwy/dirt/back road driving for 80-90% of the time but we really like to get out away from it all with our 4x4 and that involves some fairly technical terrain at times. I know there are always compromises no matter what type of rig/engine I may get.
I have done a fair amount of technical off roading with my V10, and it has performed just as well as any other 4x4 I have owned. Never thought twice about it.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #22

Thank you all for the GREAT info! This has really been helpful for me and like I mentioned before, it opens up more possibilities for SMB ownership for me. Also, any info regarding 4x4 component upgrades that I might want/need for off road would be very helpful as well. I am not familiar with heavier 4x4 vehicles and their particulars/needs. Thanks again, Paul
akfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56
The only time I wish I had the diesel is at freeway speeds because the V-10 shifts down (to get into its power band) on any significant grade even with the 4.56 gears I run. The diesel makes max torque by ~ 1600 rpm and so doesn't have to shift.
That was a problem for me too, so I dropped the O/D shift point way down using the Predator, so now it pretty much stays locked in OD all the time. Even at 22,000 pounds it'll pull most highway grades without shifting. I also have the Banks PowerPack though, which added even more low end grunt.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
[youtube:30nyhn7t]

They sound good in Idaho.

Z

PS: That guy needs some step sliders from Rockslide Engineering!

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #25

The thing about discussion forums is that generally the posts are skewed toward problems rather than success stories.

73,000 miles on my 6.0 psd and no issues. Knock on wood but starting to mull over an egr delete though. Drove by the Bulletproof diesel place and they were not open on a Saturday.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The thing about discussion forums is that generally the posts are skewed toward problems rather than success stories.

73,000 miles on my 6.0 psd and no issues. Knock on wood but starting to mull over an egr delete though. Drove by the Bulletproof diesel place and they were not open on a Saturday.
Ditto. At 70k miles on our 6.0 and it has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. No issues.

Of course that can change, but so far so good. I drive it hard and follow a cautious maintenance schedule.

R
Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfiredude
Thank you all for the GREAT info! This has really been helpful for me and like I mentioned before, it opens up more possibilities for SMB ownership for me. Also, any info regarding 4x4 component upgrades that I might want/need for off road would be very helpful as well. I am not familiar with heavier 4x4 vehicles and their particulars/needs. Thanks again, Paul
I believe the best upgrade to any 4x4 is a selectable locker, at least in the rear axle if not in both. Without that when you get your rig all crossed up - with a deep washout crossing the road at an angle, for instance - you find that you really have only 2 wheel drive. One front wheel and one rear wheel will have no weight on them and spin and stop you cold. That happened more than once to me with the old van in my avatar. It had a Eaton in the rear axle but it took a lot of wheelspin to get it to engage and sometimes that only aggravated the stuck. My current rig has ARBs in both axles and seems to be pretty much unstoppable, seems like it can ease its way over any bad spot. Just locking the rear axle makes 4x4 unnecessary most times.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
The only time I wish I had the diesel is at freeway speeds because the V-10 shifts down (to get into its power band) on any significant grade even with the 4.56 gears I run. The diesel makes max torque by ~ 1600 rpm and so doesn't have to shift.
That was a problem for me too, so I dropped the O/D shift point way down using the Predator, so now it pretty much stays locked in OD all the time. Even at 22,000 pounds it'll pull most highway grades without shifting. I also have the Banks PowerPack though, which added even more low end grunt.
That sounds wonderful. My van will be out of warranty soon. Then I'll want to hear more about the Predator and Powerpack.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #29

Quote:
It had a Eaton in the rear axle but it took a lot of wheelspin to get it to engage and sometimes that only aggravated the stuck. My current rig has ARBs in both axles and seems to be pretty much unstoppable, seems like it can ease its way over any bad spot. Just locking the rear axle makes 4x4 unnecessary most times.
Which model Eaton did you have that took a lot of wheelspin to get it to engage? Was it the True Track? I'm still trying to decide which way to go on upgrades for my van. I've narrowed the choice down to the Eaton E-locker or the Eaton True Track.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
Site Team

Since you asked about economy I'll make a mention of the vans at the other end of the engine spectrum. Those of us with a 6-cylinder gas engine. I can get 19+ mpg if I'm traveling in flatland, AKA Ohio and parts west, and watch my speed. When I'm on the interstate going up a mountain, I stay in the far right truck lane and take my time.
From what I've read this model engine is about as reliable as they make them and will run forever if you maintain it.
Mine has the 4.09 gear ratio so I've never had any problems driving up even the steepest forest road grades. One big difference with a lot of the other vans here is mine is 2WD and I never tow anything. Just my bicycle on a swing away bike rack. Also I don't go off-road. Just off pavement.

One other thought. I've recently been reading about the coming "$5 gas after Memorial Day". Just wait until that hits then you might get a bargain after some current owner panics about his mileage. Good Luck.

PS. Hat tip to Tapatio. Great work on the vid!

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote