Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #11

Re: Getting SMB shipped

How about https://www.dasautoshippers.com ?
I don't mind driving to the terminal to pick it up but it looks like they acutally own trucks.

ubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #12

I'm not familiar with car haulers per se, but in general, I would start by just looking for them on the net. You could try calling some flat deck companies who often have 20-30 feet of open deck they would like to fill with freight. You would need a ramp or need to hire a flat deck tow truck to get the van on and off the trailer on either end. Also, some cities are lacking in outbound freight for a particular type of trailer so freight going in will naturally cost more. Denver, actually most of Colorado, for instance is a Dead Zone for outbound flat deck freight. I have routinely driven empty to TX, KS or MO for a decent paying load out of CO.

The problem with Brokers is that they often find the work and make the promises without actually dealing with the customer or having to deliver on the promises for the work itself. They in turn sell the load, sometimes for a fraction of what a customer paid, to an independent owner operator to do the work directly or to a company who hires owner operators.

The trucking company then takes its cut before the owner of the truck, the one with the lions share of expenses, gets anything. This is commonly referred to as "Double Pimping." Fuel surcharges are a very real and effective way of giving a customer and a truck owner a fair price. However when a third or fourth party is involved, the fuel surcharge often gets treated like the base rate and does not get passed on completely to the one paying for the fuel. The Customer does not get what he paid for and the trucker does not get adequately compensated.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #13

Also remember that they can get 2 cars where a Sportsmobile will sit (usually only on a single deck). So it takes a while to find someone who needs to do your route at your price.
2001 Dakar 650
2000 Dakar 650
TW 200 pit pig.
Ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #14

They shouldn't put an SMB in the middle anyway, the guy who shipped mine out to Frenso (on a truck no doubt!) put it on the very back top spot. He had two other cars at the time and probably bottom loaded more under. It was fun to hear the hydrolics strain, but it rode just fine there.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #15

i guess i have to just wait for a trucker to pick it up. i just confirmed that i am paying the higest for the route. if nothing happens by the memorial day , i migh fly out and drive back..
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Too bad you don't have a friend you can trust. Have them bring it out if you can't.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #17

Hi Dave
All of friends that I trust are still working full time :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Too bad you don't have a friend you can trust. Have them bring it out if you can't.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #18

Just had mine shipped from Bend, OR to CT, 2980 miles. I did price the diesel and ticket to pick up which would have been around $1600+. Used company called Pride Auto Transport who hired a trucker from Vermont. Originally supposed to be shipped inside something, seller gave measurements, all was fine at $2450. Trucker showed up and they found out the SMB was bigger than expected, needed to go on open carrier. I threw a fit, but in the end had it shipped this way. They wrapped the front end with plastic which stayed on a few hundred miles.

When all was said and done, they did get it to me in great shape with no real issues. Took about 2 weeks in all at a price of $2250.

Ideally you create a vacation around pick up, but in some cases this isn't possible or ideal.

I would recommend these people mentioned above if trucking it.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #19

My SMB is in my garage as of this morning. It was delivered very professionally as promised.
The agent that I dealt is the owner and also has her own trucks as well. I would highly recommend the service. Not sure if I am allowed to post the info here though.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #20

Sure as long as it's not YOUR company, and you're not getting a finders fee. Oh and as long as they're not associated with McNutt Auto Transport, those van driving b***tards- but that's personal, not technically a "rule".