Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Getting SMB shipped

I bought and paid for the SMB , and it's still sitting in the seller's garage. I am told by the trucking broker , due to the rising gas price, it's been very challenging for them to get it booked by truckers.
It's been over 3 weeks and still nothing has happened. How did you guys handle the situation like this? It is located 2,000 miles away from here and I don't have time or desire to drive back.
I guess I am just venting here...

ubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Getting SMB shipped

I'd say jage probably knows a lot about it. 2000 miles away says road trip to me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

I wouldn't go anywhere near those crooks. In my not-so-humble opinion, the only way to ship a vehicle is to drop it off at a shipping point, then pick it up at a shipping point. Otherwise, stand by to get raped...

I would ask the seller to drop it off at the nearest shipping point after you make arrangements.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Just finished up a 2400+ mile "bring home" trip and it was just great. Jage can tell you all about trucking firms The world of trucking doesn't care much anymore, no matter what they say or what you pay. Plus, by the time you get it home, you'll have put together a huge list of to-do's on the rig that you may not have been able to compile so efficiently other wise... plus the money you don't spend on trucking can go to the "list"
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #5

Yeah, you want your van driven thousands of miles when you pay for door-to-door? Hire McNutt.

Where to where out of curiosity?

Maybe look into rail, you can put a vehicle on a flatbed car, or so I've heard.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

Thanks guys.. Maybe I should fly out and drive back. My wife actually suggestd as well. The challenge part is we have two children who are in school. Being away from home for a multiple days isn't an easy task.
Jage, it's located in west Illinois.
I am using a broker who has AAA+ rating from BBB if that means anything. The person I am dealing with has been honest but you guys are right about truckers. I don't get to pick a trucker.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

I just had an ambulance shipped from Maryland to Phoenix. Took weeks to get a trucker who would take it (at the price I wanted). Mine was not drivable that distance so shipping was the only option.

What I checked out was:
Rail Freight - Could never get anyone to call me back.
UShip - Lots of interesting quotes $9000 in one case).
Local broker AAA BBB rated. - Worked with me to get it done.

Now if I had the choice I would of flown over and driven it back like we did with the Sportsmobile I bought in Florida. Took a week off and drove Daytona - San Diego and back to Phoenix. Treated it as a mini vacation.

The good part was getting to know the vehicle in a very short amount of time. The bad part was any thing that is a concern needs to be fixed quickly and you do not have tools or facilities. (in my case laying in a carpark changing shocks in Alabama in June after changing my jocks from the poor handling/speed wobble).

So my suggestion is get grandma/friend/sister etc to look after the kids, take the missus and have a few days driving fun.

Oh and the truckie will try to hit you up for a few extra bucks every time.
2001 Dakar 650
2000 Dakar 650
TW 200 pit pig.
Ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Thanks Ozrockrat.

Actually I am paying the top dollars for the route (38 cars waiting for trucks on the national trucking board), but none of truckers is willing to take that route. I am told all these truckers are waiting as the gas price started rising. What a pain.

I may end up driving it back as you folks suggested. The reliability isnt of concern as the vehicle has only 5K miles and has been well maintained.

Thank you all for sharing the experience.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

As one who has owned and operated trucks for several decades, I can say that , yes there are various levels of customer service out there. If the trucker is not getting a fair rate he will probably not deliver the level of customer service you expect and if the rate offered is so low that freight sits waiting for a trucker to haul it, it is too low.

The solution:
Cut out the middle man and deal with the trucker directly, or take the time off and do it yourself if you think it will be cheaper.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #10

Good to know. At least I am paying the most ..
How do I deal with the trucker directly? I thought we all go thru brokers in the current system.
I've tried to use uship.com service but the bid I am getting is very high as somone said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
As one who has owned and operated trucks for several decades, I can say that , yes there are various levels of customer service out there. If the trucker is not getting a fair rate he will probably not deliver the level of customer service you expect and if the rate offered is so low that freight sits waiting for a trucker to haul it, it is too low.

The solution:
Cut out the middle man and deal with the trucker directly, or take the time off and do it yourself if you think it will be cheaper.