Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Ghosts of the electronic door locks

Hi:
Was camping in Oregon in December and lots of rain. Suddenly the electronic door locks started locking and unlocking on their own.
Spooky.
What is going on?

Pete

mountaingoatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #2

You have a short. It's not really a Ford van problem. Lots of older cars develop gremlins like this.

What year is your van?

Does it have keyless entry (RKE)?

Is it a fully built out Sportsmobile?

There is an RKE control box on the older vans behind the B-pillar. I'm not sure about vans newer than 2005 or so but they probably never changed it. It's on the wall behind your seat, driver's side, under the window if you have a passenger van. If you have a '50' floor plan or one with a galley or cabinets down the driver's side you're in for a real party to get at it.

This is worst case though. Any of your door lock switches on any door could've gotten wet. Do you have that low mounted door lock button on the rear passenger barn door? Sometimes SMB and other converters bypassed and hid it. If you remove the trim panel on that door you might find it hidden in there. This is second worst case scenario.

The best scenario is this: One of your front door switches got wet. It's that or Satan.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #3

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cks-18943.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Check the switch on the back doors it痴 the one that get mine to do that. I just unplugged it and all was fine.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
Check the switch on the back doors it痴 the one that get mine to do that. I just unplugged it and all was fine.

I知 hoping that値l solve the same issue happening with me, whenever it rains....I pulled that rear switch out while I知 doing my remodel. I did examine the control module mounted on the wall behind the driver seat when I had things gutted, I saw no evidence of that being exposed to water or any loose or shorted wires.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 AM   #6

Before you get into troubleshooting your switches, go to Home Depot, in the electrical dept and pick up a can of CRC 2-26 its about $2.50 and its in a small blue can. This will clean and lube the contacts of the switches, wire,battery connectors, ground lugs, the stuff is amazing. Its the WD-40 for electrics.
I used this product when I was in the Marine Industry installing electronics and dealing with a lot of corrosion from salt water.
Flipperfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #7

It's an 02 Ford 350 Van totally built by Sportsmobile. I'll look for the panel near the driver's door.
Thanks,
Pete WinterSky
mountaingoatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
pulled that rear switch out while I知 doing my remodel. I did examine the control module mounted on the wall behind the driver seat when I had things gutted,
Did you provide for access to the module once your build out is finished? I thought mine was buried since I couldn't see it, but removal of one piece of wood gave me access, and I was really glad the builder thought of that.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #9

Had that happen to mine on a rainy night in Mississippi, it ran my battery down because it went on for hours. I checked the van wiring once the weather cleared and I found the power lock on my rear doors had been exposed to water coming off wilted seals on my windows. I have a 2005 extended passenger E350 and nobody had changed out the ribbon seal on any of the windows in 14 or so years. So the first sign of a water migration problem was that power lock ghost and eventually (while in Florida) I had develop worse leaks on my side windows due to similar dry ribbon seal. Solution is fairly easy repair for DIY, just get a good set of curved window suction cups (not the ones for flat glass) and the ribbon seal is 1/4" thickness from Summit Racing.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

Hello all - I too had the ghost lock issue and now my the power lock button will not work on both the driver and passenger sides. The unlock button works fine on both sides. Also should note my key-less entry fob works fine and will lock and unlock no problem. Should I be looking at the same things mentioned above?

My van is a 99 E350 with the 50 layout. Also what is the B-Piller?