Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #1

Question has anyone imported a Sportsmobile to Canada

Hi all

I'm thinking of buying a van (likely a new 2019 or 2020 Ford Transit) and eventually doing a partial or full conversion by Sportsmobile... then maybe eventually imported it into Canada.....

I have read various web sites and Canadian government websites and they all pretty much relate just to cars. For example under FORD only cars are listed on the Canadian government website.

and I know I can call a Canadian government office.... but may be very tough to actually get a human on the phone, and they may not know...

thanks for any thoughts.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I have only heard from a Canadian that chased us down in Homer, AK of all places...he said, "I saw you yesterday but couldn't get turned around quick enough..." We were on the "Spit" (gravel outcrop business and port are at..) and he had us cornered at the end lol..had to ask some questions ...(buying fresh Halibut at a mkt there)As we were talking about Sporty's setup, he said the regulations about RV's were much more stringent and he was afraid of the hassles a US build would bring...now that started with the talk about LP range and furnace... but I think (it was '14) he started to worry about interior cabinets and how they were secured and a few other concerns....so, I am sure there will be that to consider (but look up vans? or class B conversions? in the Canadian code or whatever they call it) BUT a really GREAT source for questions may be a member that goes by 'Pschitt'...he has his conversion in Europe now and had to 'convert' quite a few things to be legal for the roads there...plus a great story/experience to lean on...I'd find him on here an private message maybe...Good luck and keep us posted!

Ps isn't there a Canadian Van converter that does Sportsmobile type conversions? I thought maybe there was...not a 4x4, just interior...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #3

Safari Condo in Quebec does really nice work from what I’ve seen.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote