Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Have you taken a look at ProMaster vans in person?

And if so, what did you think? Did you see unusual potential? Based on your inspection, does it bring anything new to table as a class B platform? How about issues?

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Re: Have you taken a look at ProMaster vans in person?

As a side note, should there eventually be a "ProMaster Chassis" forum sub-section? Like that for Sprinter?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

On Sunday their were two at the local dealer. I am hoping to see them tomorrow on my way home from work.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
On Sunday their were two at the local dealer. I am hoping to see them tomorrow on my way home from work.
I saw those also this past weekend and was tempted to stop in but I had too much going on. The rear cab light really stick out as an afterthought, like they are straight out of the bulk-bin at napa. The fronts aren't bad though. The rest of the back end looks pretty decent. Still not a fan of the front-end though. I got used to the Nissan. Now its just "Meh". I don't think I'll get used to the Pormaster
Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
I saw those also this past weekend and was tempted to stop in but I had too much going on. The rear cab light really stick out as an afterthought, like they are straight out of the bulk-bin at napa. The fronts aren't bad though. The rest of the back end looks pretty decent. Still not a fan of the front-end though. I got used to the Nissan. Now its just "Meh". I don't think I'll get used to the Pormaster
As far as appearance, the back is what I have a bigger problem with. And in person it looks no better to me than pictures. I agree the lights stick out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, as far as I know, vehicles over 80 inches wide normally have them, like dually pickup trucks. I've been curious as to why Ford Transit prototypes didn't have them since they too are wider than 80 inches.

The dealer near family I'm visiting had about a dozen, all work vans. Up close they look big and wide to me. What stood out most is the cargo area which is huge compared to my extended Ford. The walls are very vertical which makes the ceiling area considerably wider than any van I've seen in person. The walls and roof are fairly straight also so converting to camper should be easier, particularly for do-it-yourselves. Side and rear doors are very large so they should fit large windows. The large sliding doors did feel heavy and tough to open and close. I guess that should be expected due to size and weight.

For a FWD van the step in is much higher than I expected. When seated I felt higher than in my E-350. The plus side is that it felt like a tiny Class A with an elevated view to the front. I didn't drive one but expect a commanding view of road. Or it could just be perception. Don't know for sure without measuring.

Ground clearance was more than I expected. The under-floor mounted spare about 9 inches wide still had plenty of room underneath. Didn't measure tire but expect it was a full size 225 mm in width.

May make a nice camper platform for those who don't need to tow much.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Got to drive one for a bit today. Very smooth ride, no wandering or swaying and quiet. Nice dash layout and comfortable seats. You sit much higher up than a 2wd SMB which gives a great view of the road. Visibility around the van from the mirrors was excellent and I did not notice any blind spots. The acceleration and handling were both quick and responsive.

The wall framing is about 3" thick which will allow for more insulation behind the walls and more room to run wires and piping.

I like the fact that it is wider than the Sprinters. Gives it better looking proportions. The standard roof height is almost tall enough to stand up in. The high roof model felt very spacious and roomy. Both the ones I looked at were standard wheelbase models.

One thing I found interesting is that there are access hatches in there floor of the drivers compartment. I am assuming they are for maintenance access to some part of the engine or transmission. Leg and foot room for both the passenger and driver were good.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383855003.421791.jpg  
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
...cut....

One thing I found interesting is that there are access hatches in there floor of the drivers compartment. I am assuming they are for maintenance access to some part of the engine or transmission. Leg and foot room for both the passenger and driver were good.
I didn't open it, but read that the battery is under the floor with access under hatch. The report also stated that they have jumper cable extensions under the hood -- a nice touch.

Not that I plan to build a conversion myself, but really liked that the van's cross section doesn't seem to taper like a Ford. The side walls seem straight so panels should be much easier to install. And it should also be much easier to make cabinets to fit against a straight wall.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
really liked that the van's cross section doesn't seem to taper like a Ford. The side walls seem straight so panels should be much easier to install. And it should also be much easier to make cabinets to fit against a straight wall.
But that's true of the Sprinter and Transit.
Pic of the Transit rear doors:
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/roadte...argo-space.jpg
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
really liked that the van's cross section doesn't seem to taper like a Ford. The side walls seem straight so panels should be much easier to install. And it should also be much easier to make cabinets to fit against a straight wall.
But that's true of the Sprinter and Transit.
Pic of the Transit rear doors:
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/roadte...argo-space.jpg
Was referring to Econoline and not Transit. Obviously haven't seen the Transit in person. The Sprinter is an odd option so I don't spend that much time thinking about it.

In my opinion the Sprinter should lose market share quickly unless it's redesigned to a wider body. For a class B, width is very important and the Sprinter can't compete in that area. Until recent it was only high-roof option, but now competition may make the Sprinter next to irrelevant (by volume).
Old 11-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:

In my opinion the Sprinter should lose market share quickly unless it's redesigned to a wider body. For a class B, width is very important and the Sprinter can't compete in that area. Until recent it was only high-roof option, but now competition may make the Sprinter next to irrelevant (by volume).
Class B's are a very small market compared to commercial users. I doubt they would consider changing the width for a small market in North America.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote