Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Having sportsmobile mod my e150

First off wanted to say hi, I linger often but post rarely. I've got a basic e150 passenger van that I would like to turn into move of a camper. I'm not very handy myself so I'd need a professional to do it. What I'm looking for is the addition of a pop top or high roof. An AC unit, with all the hook ups for plugging in at a campsite and I'd like my windows changed out from the kind that hinge open at the bottom to the kind that slide open and have screens. Is this the kind of thing that the sportsmobile company could do? Or do they only make the really snazzy loaded sportsmobiles?

domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #2

Re: Having sportsmobile mod my e150

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer
First off wanted to say hi, I linger often but post rarely. I've got a basic e150 passenger van that I would like to turn into move of a camper. I'm not very handy myself so I'd need a professional to do it. What I'm looking for is the addition of a pop top or high roof. An AC unit, with all the hook ups for plugging in at a campsite and I'd like my windows changed out from the kind that hinge open at the bottom to the kind that slide open and have screens. Is this the kind of thing that the sportsmobile company could do? Or do they only make the really snazzy loaded sportsmobiles?

Yes, they can do the work
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

SMB West can do as much or as little as you'd like. However, I'm not sure about the window replacement. They would need to get a window, same size as the stock E-series window. Definitely let me know if they can do something for your window.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

My recollection on 150's is that they can do a penthouse but, wouldn't be able to do cabinets because they would be too heavy for the 150. But, really you should ask them. They are very easily reachable and helpful.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewTV
My recollection on 150's is that they can do a penthouse but, wouldn't be able to do cabinets because they would be too heavy for the 150. But, really you should ask them. They are very easily reachable and helpful.

Depends on the year. '07+ E150s have an 8600 GVWR so they can do a full job on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

Actually I had another question. Is it possible to install a rv type ac unit without bringing it to SM? I'm like to have it set up so that it can be powered from the hookups at a campsite. I didn't feel I should start a new thread for this.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewTV

Depends on the year. '07+ E150s have a 8600 GVWR so they can do a full job on it.
carringb, you are like the Rain Man of the Ford E series! You always have an accurate spec on the different model years. Kudos.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer
Actually I had another question. Is it possible to install a rv type ac unit without bringing it to SM? I'm like to have it set up so that it can be powered from the hookups at a campsite. I didn't feel I should start a new thread for this.

The only one i have first hand knowledge of is the Coleman Polar Cub 9,000 btu roof top unit
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... oner/49864

Easy insall for any quality shop, only one 14 inch square hole and the wiring
Weights 117 pounds

Dont know of anyone w/ one on a PH, dont know why

If you gave us your location and a couple of pics it would help

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

Not sure if you went ahead with this project but Sportsmobile TX mofied my E350 psd XLT very successfully. The windows are a compromise that work ok except in extreme heat where their insulation is not as good as a purpose built van.