Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

Just had a chat with all three involved parties; CBSA (custom), RIV (registrar of imported vehicles) and Transport Canada.

Heres the scoop and it's pretty straight forward:

If the vehicle has been modified and is less than 15 yrs old you're out of luck, they simply won't let you re-enter Canada.

If the vehicle is over 15 yrs old both Transport Canada and RIV are no longer involved. So it's all about CBSA who will require you to re-import your vehicle and pay duties on the new value of the vehicle.

So let's say you bought your 15 yrs old van for $10,000 in Canada, drove down the states to get a new rooftop and 4x4 conversion (now valued at $25,000) then go back to Canada. You will pay duties on $25,000 regardless if you already paid taxes the initial $10,000 purchase price. Given that it's an older vehicle but a "new" importation you won't need a federal inspection, just a provincial one.

Now how do they value your "new" vehicle I'm not sure but at the end of the day it can be done

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

PM sent....
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #13

In your example, you bought a 15yr old and older rig in Canada; why not just drive it into the US to the outfitter and leave it. Fly home. Fly back when it's complete in 8 weeks, complete your small vacation and *repairs* and drive back across the border?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

Honest reality with above example is to say you purchased $15K worth of US made automotive stuff. Duty exempt. Pay your GST/HST and be on your way. Same as if you had $15K worth of parts shipped.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 07-21-2016, 11:07 PM   #15

Gnty, pm replied, thanks.

TomBeast, even easier to just stay there while the work is being done and enjoy a nice sunny holiday! But yes, that's an option.

Pntyrmvr, close but like I mentioned you end up paying duty on the value of work done AND re-pay in duty the original value of your van so you probably end up paying extra duties on $10,000 or more of duty that you had already paid in taxes when you first bought it... Makes sense? (actually, it makes no sense at all but they make the rules)

David

Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
...Pntyrmvr, close but like I mentioned you end up paying duty on the value of work done AND re-pay in duty the original value of your van so you probably end up paying extra duties on $10,000 or more of duty that you had already paid in taxes when you first bought it... Makes sense? (actually, it makes no sense at all but they make the rules)
Hypothetically speaking, how does anyone know you even spent any money on a vehicle as you drive back across the border? It might raise other issues if you try to insure it at a higher value, or do you have vehicle inspections north of the border?

Herb
Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #17

I don't have the answer Herb. I know pictures are taken at the border as you enter the States and with all the sharing of information I guess they could compare as you return to Canada. I'd doubt it but who knows these days! I would hope they had bigger issues to worry about.

Once back north you could leave it as is or get it inspected for road safety and insurance purpose which would allow you to increase the vehicle value.

David

Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Hasn't it always been like this????

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
Hasn't it always been like this????
What's that, them making non-sense?

It didn't make sense to have to re-import your own truck so I called a larger border port of entry and spoke with an operational officer instead. He agreed that it made no sense and said they only charge duties on the parts and labour as long as it's 15 yrs old and doesn't change the vehicle's class.

KISS...

Cheers
David

Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

I'm in the same situation here. I'd like the Mercedes Sprinter with factory 4x4 and OEM options converted by Sportsmobile - have cash, will travel! I am also in Canada, and even offered to buy MBS here and convert there, but per above this is a no go with the dickheads at Transport Canada. I am considering doing something similar to Hymer Europe and Roadtrek Canada and see if I can order an import kit from Sportsmobile and do the rest myself.
What I need in the Sportsmobile is the 4 season capability with fresh, grey and black water inside the camper so they don't freeze.
Any suggestions?
Foxtrots is offline   Reply With Quote