Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #11

Garage
You're welcome.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
Site Team

If you're looking to lift a wheel to stack rocks underneath it, this would work with a Hi Lift jack. Obviously doesn't do any good for changing a tire.

http://www.4by4connection.com/hiliftliftmate.html

Herb
Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #13

There is a bumper sling accessory that is available for the hi-lift that hooks under the edge of the bumper (stock bumper or aluminess). You can also hook the hi-lift into a d-ring on the front bumper. I have used my hi-lift in the field with no problems at all. I've had a few flats allready in mexico. So for everyone who says the hi-lift does not work it does work just fine. That is not to say that there is not a better solution (smaller&lighter jack).
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #14

Jammy, I think the question about the Hi-Lift J-attachment is can you lift the van using the stock bumper- will the bumper take it locally (not dent) and will the bumper support the van (not bend permanently).

I used to lift my trailer with a hi-lift to release the pressure on the tires- it's a dual axle trailer and parking it on the cement slab would cause the tires to be twisted pretty hard. I'd jack it up on a "solid" part of the fender just in front of the wheels until the tires lifted ever so slightly. The seventh or 8th time the metal wall where I was jacking just collapsed and bent out about an inch.

I'd hate to be the first guy to start jacking up the stock rear and have the bumper just crush into the door because the manufacturing specs are different from the days of bumper jacks.

This is the J hook by the way:

So--- Jammy, I agree with you about the hi-lift being a good jack (I own like 6 of them). Where can you jack on the rear aluminess bumper?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #15

Jage, you may be right about the stock bumpers, I don't have them so have not tried to lift the van with them. When I did lift the rear of the van I used the attachment that you provided the picture of just outside of the storage box on my aluminess bumper and it worked OK. The vehicle does need to be lifted quite a bit in the rear. Especially mine as it's an EB. I would not let anybody get to close to the van. Like I said before the Hi-lift may not be the best solution but it does work. I allready had the Hi-lift in my arsenal so that is what I have been using. YOu can also carry a length of chain that could be run under the bumper to the frame and then to the jack.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote