Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #1

Garage
High price of non bullet proofed van

I am looking at a 2008, advanced 4x4 conversion with non-bullet proofed 6.0 with Amsoil system. Nice Aluminess bumpers all around. 64,000 miles. The van is in like new condition-runs, shifts and holds the road perfect. He is asking the same price as other machines that have similar layouts and condition but have bullet proofing. Question, some mechanics say that a 6.0 well taken care of can go for ever without the Bp. Having to bp this machine will push the price into the stratisphere. In your opinion, is a non bp 6.0 worth the high price, north of 75k.

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #2

In my opinion, No, not worth it.
Find a GOOD diesel mechanic and have the engine gone through including looking inside the turbo, evaluate coolant, oil cooler, EGR, injectors, etc. and even then you will have higher risk of a failure.

Will it possibly sell for asking? Yes.
Enough people with more money than knowledge want vans who do not know the downsides/ value.

Advanced conversion is Lower on the list for 4x4. It is good but not in the top three or four or maybe five.
Full or semi float?
Winch?
Large bumper box?
Diesel heater?
Hot water?
Rear air?
Manual or electric top?
Sound system?
Tire and wheel size?
Color?
Roof rack?
Etc.?

So many factors go into the value of one or another van.

Have you looked at Taylor3633’s 2014 V10 CCV Quigley/RIP? For what you are looking at spending and risk you are taking, you could build out that interior to exactly what you want and be far more comfortable and reliable. (I am only suggesting this to take away the strong temptation I have to buy it for ourselves. Someone please buy Taylor’s van so I can then say to my self, damn it is sold)
Old 01-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

Garage
Where its true many people do get high mileage out of a non-BP 6.0 (usually because they've maintained a great Service regiment), it comes down to peace of mind.
Bullet Proofing a 6.0 is more of an attempt at prematurely resolving opportunities that represent "known" or "common" issues that have plagued the engine...its not a guarantee, but provides a level of confidence.

EDIT: I agree with 1der, cant understand why that 2014 V10 hasnt sold yet either.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Garage
Actually, does the 2008 E350 have a 6.4l instead of the 6.0?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

The 2004 and up to 2010 model year E Series vans only came with the 6.0 as the available diesel option. After 2010 the Diesel engine option was discontinued. The 6.4 (nor any other diesel) was never offered in the van from the factory for 2004 and up.

A few very capable people have swapped in Cummins diesels, but that is another $tory.

Decent info on various Powerstroke Diesels - history and issues - this link is for 6.0, there are sections for 6.4, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford...oke_engine#6.0
Old 01-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #6

I've got to agree 100% with 1der. For your projected need and use, the 6.0 would be the last engine I would consider. I know you are looking at the fuel savings of a diesel, but you also seem to want as close to 100% reliability as possible with an emphasis on low miles. I'd be far more worried about a low mileage 6.0 (bullet proofed or not) than I would be a higher mileage gas motor. If I were in your shoes, I'd sacrifice a few miles per gallon for the near absolute reliability of a gas motor. The amount of money you would save on fuel will quickly evaporate if you run into issues with a diesel. Most issues with a gas motor (usually simple things like the fuel pump or a coil pack) are quick to diagnose, and relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. Now, if you plan on towing a heavy load, a diesel can make sense, but a V10 will tow nearly as well.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

some mechanics say that a 6.0 well taken care of can go for ever without the Bp

These mechanics have a far different definition of "forever" than I do. Yes, some folks have been lucky (in combination of impeccable maintenance) and have gone 200,000 miles without taking the motor apart. But they are outliers. Most folks who claim perfect reliability with their 6.0 just don't drive much. Going 60 or even 100,000 miles with major problems isn't anything to brag about. Any other modern motor would do this without question. I'd trust a V10 with 300,000 miles over a stock 6.0 with 100,000. Even if a V10 did have a problem on the road, it's unlikely to leave to totally stranded. If you try to limp home a 6.0, you might not make it far before a minor problem cascades into total engine failure.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks. I am having a hard time justifying price without bp. In answer to 1der:
semi float
No Winch
Large bumper box-yes
Diesel heater-yes, but I don’t need it.
Hot water-yes
Rear air-no, and I need it.
electric top
Sound system-not sure, I think CarPlay. Also has Edge CTS2 monitor, no codes and perfect diagnostics.
Tire and wheel size - Less Than 5,000 Miles on BFG T/A KO2 Mounted on American Racing Teflon-Coated Wheels
Color - tan
Roof rack - no
Amsoil system
It is super clean, like new. The no bp is the dealbreaker at that cost.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
Thanks. I am having a hard time justifying price wihout bp. It is super clean, like new.... The no bp is the dealbreaker at that cost.
Asking price ordinarily is established with a built in negotiating buffer... I'd clarify my concern(s) and then test the boundaries of the initial price with an offer you'd be comfortable with - Worst case scenario isn't any different than your current situation.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Decent info on various Powerstroke Diesels - history and issues - this link is for 6.0, there are sections for 6.4, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford...oke_engine#6.0
Wow, I have never seen that Wiki before, it's kinda scary.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote