Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Honda Generator 2000 question

Hello,
I am looking at a generator back up for the SMB. The honda 2000 one fits nicely into the Aluminess box. I have a few questions would love to hear the collective wisdom of this experienced group.
1. Will this generator be able to substitute for a shore power hookup to run the furnace or danhard (in summmer) for some period of time?
2. Will it maintain battery charge sufficiently without solar to utilize the inverter?

Am planning a trip to a snowy environment and expect not to see much sun during the trip.

Thanks for any advice!

Andrew

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

How big an inverter? Wondering what is the max # of watts you might be pulling at once.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Inverter is a magnum magna sine ms series MS2000 (-15/-20b) model.
The furnace is an espar furnace which I assume is running off the diesel in the Sprinter.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
tlg

Garage
Our Honda 2000 runs the Danhard. That said, the batteries have to be at, or pretty close to, full charge during the initial start up of the Danhard. If not, the start up sequence will overload the Honda. If you've been running the Danhard before arrival or have used the Honda to charge the batteries first it's a non-issue. That was a trial and error discovery for us. We don't have a furnace so can't help you there. The Honda has no problems charging the batteries and I'll often use it to do just that during periods of inclement weather.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #5

I've used my Honda 2k on several occasions. It's done well and has no problem topping off the batteries while we crank the stereo hanging by the camp fire. You should be just fine for heat but I think it's marginal for AC. The starting load for the Danhard may be too high. Check starting amps on the AC and see how that compares to what the Honda can handle.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall View Post
...no problem topping off the batteries while we crank the stereo hanging by the camp fire.
The Honda is rated for 2000w peak. The Magnum Magna MS2000 inverter mentioned pulls 3300w peak. Depending on how the system is configured, if you draw more than the gen is rated for, will you simply 'dip into' the batteries' reserve, or would you pop the breaker and shut down the gen?

I am thinking about a small microwave, and am wondering if two Trojan T105 house batteries would need to be supplemented. I already have an EU2000, and want to use what I already have, before considering solar to keep the batteries at least at 50-80% of capacity.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

I carry a Honda. The long term plan is to have in plugged into an inverter/charger. Mimicking shore power. This would let the inverter deal with the peak start up amps, at least that is the plan. But if the load is more than the charge you are pulling from the genny, obviously the batteries will dip. But any large load should be short (microwave, ac startup) and you should be fine

espars pull maybe 7 amps, so batteries should be fine all day/night long with it's intermittent draw.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Question for you guys. Are you talking about a hybrid inverter or just a "normal" inverter with an internal transfer switch. The reason I question this is if your looking to supply a load (A/C unit at start up) that exceeds your generators output I've only seen it successfully done with a hybrid inverter. One that will combine the generator/wall power with the inverted power seamlessly. I haven't seen anyone try to start a motor (A/C or air compressor) with say a 3kw inverter and a 2kw generator and only a transfer switch. I realize the inrush load may not exceed the inverter rating but that the few milliseconds it takes for the switch to transfer I would think would kick off the compressor. Not saying definitively it wouldn't work but I would wan't to know before spending a lot of money only to be disappointed.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #9

My experience is pretty much as ShuttlePilot and E-rex describe... An example:

If I'm plugged into a 15amp circuit in a relative's driveway, I can easily run the A/C. I program the Shore Power setting on our Magnum Pro Sine MS2012 inverter to 15 amps and it makes up the additional start-up current from the batteries.

In other words, assuming Sportsmobile sets up your Sprinter like they did ours, you should have no problem running the A/C from a Honda 2000 generator.

And, I can confirm that the Espar heater only draws about 7 amps so you shouldn't need the generator as long as your batteries are fully charged.
COkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #10

Allan, I actually was questioning the ability of a non hybrid inverter to be able to switch fast enough from inverted to shore power during the A/C in rush current/start up and keep the compressor running. I've seen friends that do this successfully with a Magnum MSH series inverter which combines the two sources but wasn't sure of a MS series inverter, which to my knowledge, just switches between them. Perhaps your system is the proof that with this particular A/C unit it will work. I would be cool to know what the inrush current is exactly.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote