Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #11

Re: Hot water?

We use our exterior shower a lot. We have a small wood platform we put down to stand on and a privy in case we are near other people. More often than not though we are camped on a slickrock slab in the middle of nowhere. It's awesome to come back from a mtn bike ride or hike and shower.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Where does everybody get so much water? Even when we had the Class C with a 50 gallon freshwater tank, showers would suck it dry. Not to mention a grey water tank to hold it.

My theory is if I'm going to be camping where there's a ready supply of water, there will probably be a shower too.
The solar bags we use are 5gal capacity each and I'll take two on most camping trips.

I usually fill them from a camp water source and leave them out on a sunny rock in the morning. By late afternoon, the water is hot and each bag is good for 2-3 quick showers.

So even if we're dry camping, 20gal is usually plenty for our needs.

Drinking water is always extra and carried in 1gal jugs.

R
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

Our previous camper had a water heater and a shower. We rarely used it.

Our SMB has neither and we don't miss them. And we make good use of the space not occupied by the water heater.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #14

Garage

Wouldn't your answer depend on the type of travel you will be doing in cold weather? I rarely use my water heater in warm weather and I do use it in wintertime.

I have the Espar Hydronic with flatplate heat exchanger, but I have not used the espar at all since I installed an inline coolant pump in that loop (got it from Greg). If I want to shower or use hot water, I plan to do it after I've arrived somewhere, and even after the engine is turned off there is so much heat in it that I can get lots of hot water for at least two showers, with no propane, storage tank, engine running, fuel requirement, or any waiting. Fast, long lasting and free, all from your engine heat. I like that!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #15

Showering outside would not be possible in 60º or less without hot water. That said it's truly nice just to wash your hands with hot water and soap occasionally, and makes dishes and the like easier.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Showering outside would not be possible in 60º or less without hot water.
Possible yes. Enjoyable. NO!

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Quote:
Showering outside would not be possible in 60º or less without hot water.
Possible yes. Enjoyable. NO!
60º outside, you've probably got 45º water or so, I agree you can get yourself wet, but get down to the b-day suit, wet, shampoo, rinse, soap, rinse? I'm gonna go with not possible until I see a video to the contrary!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I installed an inline coolant pump in that loop (got it from Greg). If I want to shower or use hot water, I plan to do it after I've arrived somewhere, and even after the engine is turned off there is so much heat in it that I can get lots of hot water for at least two showers, with no propane, storage tank, engine running, fuel requirement, or any waiting. Fast, long lasting and free, all from your engine heat. I like that!
That's the flat plate only option I was talking about that SMB does. It is a fraction of the cost (don't have the numbers on me) over the complete Espar setup. I've used it a few times and it works well provided the engine is warm. The pump also lets the espar warm up the engine faster (in my case cause I got both) which is how I use it most of the time early in the morning. I also have warm water after a full 2 hour espar cycle for morning chores using the flat plate only and if I need really hot water I can start the vehicle or espar to warm it back up. The freezing of the flatplate still is a factor if you're a cold weather nut and is the limiting factor.

As far as showers, I usually do a navy shower unless I'm really grungy. In the winter I can go for a while W/O washing but even when it's cold out it is refreshing to wash my hair and face off with the shower wand. I never have to use my on board water to wash dishes and being I rarely drink that water, I've got plenty most of the time for a shower.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #19

I have washed face and hair at a outside hand pump in winter while on a x-country ski trip. It did WAKE me up. I think my brain rattled around inside my head for awhile. I suppose the water was 40ish and the air temp. was 30ish. Did feel good when done.

I am surprised at how many SMB owners do not use the built in van water system for drinking water. We use the water from our 18 gallon tanks for all water uses. If where we are camped has safe well water we will use that for dishes and washing to extend the time to refill the van water tanks. Do most people have safety concerns about their on board water systems??? This puzzles me.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Me too. We use ours for drinking as well as everything else...
Bill