Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Hot weather, A/C, and poptop

Anyone here ever run their coach air with the top up? If so, how did that work out for you?

James

James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #2

It works fine. You lose a bit naturally but if your AC is sized for the space it works fine.

What coach air do you mean, specifically? I have had great luck with a 9500BTU RV roof air on a pop top and decent success with a window unit jerry rigged into the front screen.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #3

Garage
I have run my Starcool III unit with the poptop up--typically when I am giving the gennie its monthly exercise, and I need to put a load on it. The van stays pretty cool with just the poptop up and the windows open; the Starcool makes it almost frosty.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

86Scotty and Glider:

I have the Danhard A/C. I tried it out yesterday while parked in the sun, and it seemed to work good, but it was only about 80 degrees outside. I did not block out the sun with a curtain, but I did have the shades pulled down on the other four windows... we do not have any side windows, but SMB insulation is a big plus.

While we were parked, the wife and I discussed things we can do to help cool the van down in general in preparation for more extreme heat...say, 95 to 100 degrees. I still intend to get the latest type of window tint that will help to this end, but would like to hear about what you guys or other folks have done to help stay cool when parked.

Thanks very much for the comments, and if you can add anything else, please do!

James
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I've found if you start it early during the cooler part of the day it helps a bunch. Total shade is almost mandatory in hot weather but even the awning can help. Cover the windows with something like reflectix. But on a hot day in full sun it's a matter of cooling everything down before mine will begin to catch up. My Starcool can average about 15 degrees below the outside temps.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote