Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

How do I adjust parking brake, 2013 E350

I haven’t been able to find and good info online on how to adjust the parking brake on a e-series van with disc brakes.
So far, I’ve learned that 99+ e-series vans have disc brakes all the way around.
The parking brake is totally separate, it’s like a mini drum brake, with shoes, used only for the parking brake.
I saw a lot of info for F-series trucks, and those have some sort of access point(a plug?) where you can acess this magical “star wheel”, which you turn, to tighten the parking brake.
Does this also apply to the e-series vans?
Is there no way to adjust the cable?

JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #2

It's the same on the E-series. It is hard to do, so I've always just pulled the rotor instead.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
It's the same on the E-series. It is hard to do, so I've always just pulled the rotor instead.
But if you pull the rotor, isn’t it impossible to get the rotor back on once you adjust the parking brake shoes outward?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
But if you pull the rotor, isn’t it impossible to get the rotor back on once you adjust the parking brake shoes outward?
Not really. If you can't get the rotor back on, it's too tight. You want to be able to just barely slip it over, maybe lightly tapping it. And when you turn the hub, it should just barely rub. Just enough to make noise but still able to easily turn by hand.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

Well I decided to just bring it in to les Schwab. They did it for just under $60.
It’s super tight now and the pedal only goes just past half way, instead of the floor.
Sometimes it’s worth spending a little money having someone else do it so I can avoid my headache and enjoy my weekend.