Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #141

Garage
2006 EB-45ish
Gas nearly full
Water empty
Lightly loaded
No humans

Original Config: 2WD
Front: 3000 lbs
Rear: 4680 lbs
Total: 7680 lbs

Current Config: 4WD
Front: 3560 lbs-----Left Front: 1820 lbs---Right Front: 1700 lbs
Rear: 4740 lbs-----Left Rear: 2380 lbs---Right Rear: 2320 lbs
Total: 8300 lbs

Conclusion: the 4x4 conversion gained me about 620 lbs.

I had some fun at the local CAT scales after the 4x4 conversion, when I hatched a plan to get individual wheel weights. I drove onto the scales, but put my left side on the sidewalk on the left side of the scales, with just the right wheels on the scales. Front wheel was on one pad, rear wheel on another pad.

I got yelled at. Immediately. "Hey, you dumb girl!" You're not on the scales properly!"

"Yes, I understand that. I want to get individual wheel weights."

"That will never work."

"I'm sure you are right, but if you will indulge me, I'm happy to pay for the weighing."

The manager gives a big sigh, and shakes his head. He can't believe how dumb I am.
"Sure, lady, as long as you pay for it..."
He was really unhappy with me.

So he pushed the button, and I got my weight. And then I ran off the scales, and back on again, this time with my right wheels on the sidewalk, and my left wheels on the pads. Another weight. More moaning from the control room. And then one more time through, with all wheels on the scales.

I paid for my weight tickets, they shook their heads, and were happy to be rid of me. And I had my weights. The individual weights totaled to 40lbs short of the combined weight on the front, and also 40lbs short of combined on the rear. Not surprising that things would be a bit off, since I didn't have the weight centered on the pad. But close enough for me.

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #142

That's a good idea! Here in BC they don't charge for the service so we go when it's quiet. I'll try the individual wheels next time. As far as 4x4, with the Agile's conversion I'd have to confirm (others may know exactly) but I only gained 150lbs or so, not bad at all!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #143

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Original Config: 2WD
Front: 3000 lbs
Rear: 4680 lbs
Total: 7680 lbs

Current Config: 4WD
Front: 3560 lbs-----Left Front: 1820 lbs---Right Front: 1700 lbs
Rear: 4740 lbs-----Left Rear: 2380 lbs---Right Rear: 2320 lbs
Total: 8300 lbs

Conclusion: the 4x4 conversion gained me about 620 lbs.

This is awesome.
Data....data......more data......

Observation:
Since your pursuit of before/after weight measures is so dedicated (and rare), it would be interesting to know how much of the weight increase was due to the larger wheels and tires that were added as part of the 4WD conversion unfitting.

There's usually manufacturer charts online that list reasonably-close weights for each size of tire and rim....or there's always weighing one of your "before" mounted wheel/tires, and then weighing one of your "after" wheels/tires....(the charts sound mighty attractive at this point, lol....)

For a variety of nerd-ish reasons, it would be kind of neat to know how much of the weight increase was indeed the result of the switch over to 4WD mechanicals, and then separately how much was due to the wheel/tire upgrade.

Just kind of geeking out on all of this info

More side-note geek-ery:
The added "unsprung weight" of a larger wheel/tire (and associated very-likely-heavier front 4WD axle vs the 2WD front suspension) affect vehicle road handling dynamics (and suspension performance over bumps) with just as much influence as does the larger/gripper contact-patch characteristics of the bigger tire. Some of the characteristics of these new unsprung elements inherently aid/assist (larger tire contact patch adds grip/stability in most circumstances) while others need to be compensated for (heavier wheel/tire/axles need more profound/capable shock control.)

Thus....it just seems truly rad that so much thoughtful work by the collective van-tuning community has gone into sorting out these lifts/4WD setups/wheel & tire sizes/shock selection....balancing it all intelligently....such that even with a lifted van's higher center of gravity and heavier axles/suspension, they've actually seemingly *improved* ride and handling by many objective measures over the stock setup in many cases. Super cool.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #144

Garage
According to John McKee at Quadvan, the additional metal for the 4x4 conversion adds about 500 lbs. That would leave about 25 lbs x 5 wheels/tires to make up the other 120 lbs. I don't have the data, but I'm going to guess that's about right.
Ready to Rumble!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #145

Front: 3880
Rear: 5920
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #146

4100 F
6560 R

Fully loaded with gas, water, etc...it's a pig.
fw500a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #147

Right now everything is out of the van pending installation of the new layout. Drove over to the weigh station across the river today to see what weight is empty. The weight below includes myself, the CCV top and about a 1/4 tank of gas. 2002 Ford E350 extended body.

Van Weight
Front 3150
Rear 3350
Total 6450

Wheel weights
Right front 1650
Right rear 1600
Total 3250

Left front 1650
Left rear 1550
Total 3200

Right now the van is nicely balanced. It will be interesting to see how it changes once everything is back in it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #148

Garage
Do any of you tech-heads happen to know the Ford-specified maximum allowed right/left weight differential? I know that Ford has a spec for this somewhere...
Ready to Rumble!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #149

I wish I knew..

The interior is pretty bare while I am doing my cleanup. Weight on the title (dry weight?) shows as 4991, and with all seats and most panels out, Rex in current trim may be well into the bulimic <5000 lb zone.. (Not on the road yet, so I have to guess on actual weight.)

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #150

2003 E350 RB Quigley 4x4, minimal interior build without holding tanks. Dirt bike on bumper hitch maybe 300 lbs with carrier. Front 3600 Rear 3900. Not a fan of the even numbers, obviously not exact but probably close.

7500 lbs