Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #1

How much should I worry about rust?

There is an smb on ebay in New York state. The seller says it has surface rust on the chassis, but nothing structural. How much should I worry about that? Will it keep getting worse with a structural issue around the corner, or is it somthing one can live with for quite a while? I know this is tough to predict in the abstract. I am just trying to get a sense of things.

Thanks.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

I haven't seen it, and don't know what year it is, but basically every vehicle in up state New York, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, etc where salt is used heavily on the roads will have surface rust on the frame. I don't think it will affect the strength of the frame at all. I am from Vermont, and when I moved to Nevada I had a three year old Ford pickup and the first time I had it serviced the tech asked if I was from New England. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

I agree, probably nothing you need to worry about. I asked a similar question a couple months ago: Rust On A New Van. Peter at SMB also said this was normal.

If possible, have the owner email you some pictures. Also ask if you can take the van to an independent mechanic for a pre-sale inspection. This will give you a peace of mind as far as the actual van engine, brakes, and other components are. Also, make sure to do a carfax report.