Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #1

How to control rear sway?

Any suggestions on controling rear sway. I have a voyager top and want to stiffin up the side to side sway. I was thinking of adding a rear sway bar. The van currently does not have one. I also concidered adding a leaf in the rear but am leaning toward a rear sway bar. Any suggestions would be very helpful???

kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #2

Re: How to control rear sway?

What vehicle do you have? Some vehicles such as Dodges cannot accept a rear sway bar if they have the 35 gallon fuel tank.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

A rear sway bar will work. I have a Hellwig sway bar up for grabs......
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #4

I put this sway bar on shortly after buying my van new. I bought it from Quigley for the brackets. It bolted right on. It makes a big difference in handling. The van is still huge but it feels much more stable and predictable. It gives me a lot more confidence especially at higher speeds. It has never made any difference off road with flex. I think vans work so well off road compared to a pickup truck partly due to the weight of the body over the rear wheels. And the rear stays planted with or without a sway bar. I think air bags or tension springs limit travel more than a sway bar.

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #5

You have three viable choices available to you that will be a great improvement especially on the extended body Vans .
#1 The tried and proven Hellwig Anti Sway system . www.hellwigproducts.com
#2 Airbags , such as Firestone and Hellwig .
#3 Modification of your spring packs or replacement of your Springs www.deaverspring.com
The Hellwigs would be the least expensive and easiest of the three for installation and a very good starting point . I have all of the above and have used on numerous vehicles with great success .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
You have three viable choices available to you that will be a great improvement especially on the extended body Vans .
#1 The tried and proven Hellwig Anti Sway system . http://www.hellwigproducts.com
#3 Modification of your spring packs or replacement of your Springs http://www.deaverspring.com
The Hellwigs would be the least expensive and easiest of the three for installation and a very good starting point . I have all of the above and have used on numerous vehicles with great success .
Greggde
A forth option in my opinion.
#4 Roadmaster Active Suspension http://www.activesuspension.com/home.html

Herb
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #7

Thanks for the help guys. The van is a 2000 2X4 E-350 with a voyager top. I would post pictures but I have tried three times without sucssess. I was think of starting with a rear sway bar anyway. Now I'm really thinking that might be the best place to start. I would love to do new rear springs but money it tight since I added a roof rack and new rear bumper from Aluminess.
kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
#1 The tried and proven Hellwig Anti Sway system . http://www.hellwigproducts.com
#3 Modification of your spring packs or replacement of your Springs http://www.deaverspring.com
Greggde
A forth option in my opinion.
#4 Roadmaster Active Suspension http://www.activesuspension.com/home.html
Herb
How about a fifth option:
#5 wheel spacers

I think that will be my first mod when I get my van back.

Brent
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #9

You might want to check carefully with Roadmaster , regarding their active suspension assembly for any Van with a full Military Wrap Spring Assembly . I made an appointment with their Western Distributor after special ordering the designated kit , only to find out after an hour and a half wait that it would not fit the Old Man Emu full military wrap springs . This may have changed since January of 2008 . This was my first plan of attack after taking delivery of our Van in December 2007 and driving it home from the factory . When this failed I opted for another set of Deavers as they have always been a bullet proof option !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #10

Super steer has a new product. I think the guys name is Robert who runs the joint and you can call him for details. http://supersteersuperstop.com/uncatego ... trac-bars/
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote