Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
A quick KBB check shows the van value at ~$22,000, NOT including AWD (they didn't have a selection for that).
KBB does have selection for AWD, only available on the 1500. Shows private party value in excellent condition as about $19k (at least in my zip code).

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

A quick KBB check shows the van value at ~$22,000, NOT including AWD (they didn't have a selection for that).

I just checked KBB, and the AWD option is there...just make sure you click 1500 cargo van, not 2500 or 3500. KBB value I got was consistent with the OP's value and that's assuming it has power windows, locks, CC, etc, which a lot of cargo vans do not have.

You can get a CCV top for about $8,000. Seems that most people buying vans that have tops already installed give it pretty close to full value since you can't easily duplicate it.

If $30k is in your price range, there is a nice looking Sportsmobile posted right now in for sale section (non member classifieds section). Its a 2003 with a V10, but looks very clean and low miles.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #13

A lot of the decision depends on how much you'd like an AWD Chevy van. If you don't need AWD and aren't partial to the SMB top vs. the CCV, you'll find a better equipped 2wd ford for the money for sure. We previously had a 4x4 E350 and purposely sought after an AWD Chevy for our latest van - it fits our lifestyle well and is amazing in the snow. Another thing to consider is that they stopped making the AWD Express in 2014, so to find a clean low mileage model is starting to become as much of a commodity as a sweet E350 with a 7.3.

I concur with holding nearly full value on the poptop for one that not very old. The bottom line is, does the van have what you are looking for and need/want? How much would you want to add? How much would you remove? If it is a good fit, I'd say this would be a pretty decent buy in the low $30k range.

As seen in our signature, we've got an '09 AWD Express with a CCV top and we really like it. We sold our other car, so it also doubles as my wife's daily driver (by choice) except in the summer when she rides her cargo bike.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #14

So here is a 'comp' if you will:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...0-a-13300.html
I think this rig ended up selling for somewhere in the $20-22k range, which was a great deal for someone looking for a low mile AWD Express with a poptop. The interior was a blank slate if I recall, but it had a window installed and came with a handful of decent parts. When we were in the market for an Express, I had seriously considered this but we wanted the CCV top bad enough to pass on this rig.

On the rig you are looking at, I'd be curious to know what other electrical systems are present. If it has a fridge/freezer, does it have an auxiliary battery? How is it connected to the engine's charging system? Electrical can add a lot of cost / complexity to a build. How many electrical amenities do you desire? How many days would you like to be able to run your fridge without having to start the engine or plug in (if you have a charging system to plug in to)?

Does the rear seat fold down into a bed? If not, is that a deal breaker? Sometimes people forget to put a value on a simple seat - especially one that converts to a bed. Can you go get one from a junkyard? Probably, but you'll have to look high and low to find one that is decent, and even then you may need to reupholster. A new one will be in the neighborhood of $1000. Want seat belts? That will be extra too.

The stove is certainly not a high end unit and the van obviously doesn't have on-board propane if you use the 1 lb green canisters to fuel it. Is that a big deal? Probably not if it meets your needs. Having a built in stove is pretty sweet and the coleman canisters used to last a long time with my old car camping stove so I don't see that as a big deal. The sink and water system would have little value to me; in it's current rendition I could take it or leave it.

Shooting from the hip, I see a $20k van + $8k poptop + $4-6k interior (if you were paying someone else to do it). I would guess that someone with a little skill and time would end up spending $1000 in materials on the general interior build + $500 fridge + $1000 rear seat. Add in $400-500 to have the rear window installed. It all adds up fast, but doesn't mean that you get 100% back what you've invested, which it appears that the seller is trying to do.

As mentioned above, see what options the van has. In our search it was hard to find a cargo van with cruise, PW, PL, etc. We also wanted the G80 limited slip rear differential which narrowed our search further.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

Well this is interesting:

www.coloradocampervan.com
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Well this is interesting:

www.coloradocampervan.com
Ha! Good find! That price is much more appropriate IMO.