Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

How to purchase vehicle out of state?

I found a van, and it’s across the county. *Edit* Forgot to mention a dealer is selling it. I had a few questions and hope some of you with experience buying out of state could give some input.
1. I feel like you would lose all your leverage if you tell them you’re out of state and flying in to check out the car. Should you not tell them? What happens when you show up and they small talk you, “where do you live”, “what do you do for work”. I don’t want to lie. That would just be weird. But I also don’t want to look desperate.

2. Regarding buying a plane ticket. If I’m going to buy a plane ticket, I’d want to buy it a few days prior to the day I’m flying. What if they sell the car before you get there? Then you have to cancel your ticket and lose out on money. What if they sell the car, don’t tell you they sold it, and you fly down there only to realize the car is already gone. Major waste of time and money.

3. Negotiations prior to flying down. I’m looking at a 2013 e250 with only 24,000 miles but they’re asking $24,000. Would it be weird to try and ask to pay a lower price via email before you even see the car. Since you haven’t seen the car in person, you really have nothing to pick apart about it, nothing to complain about and give you a reason why you’d want to pay less.

4. Just pay the asking price. I’m realizing these vans are not easy to find with all the criteria I have. Maybe it would be a better method to just be up front with them and tell them I’m flying in from out of state. Can I put a deposit down so you will hold the car for me? And try not to mess around so much lowering the asking price. Of course when I’m there if I see anything major I’m still willing to argue that to being price down or even walk away if it’s that bad.

JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #2

Option 4, really your best bet.

You have searched locally to no avail, start with a solid base that supports your end goal
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Team

If you make a pre-purchase agreement with the seller, make sure you get it all in writing first.

I've bought most of my vehicles out of state, and most sellers are very accommodating to work with.

Herb
Old 04-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #4

I bought my van from a dealer 3.5 hours away. I negotiated the price via phone and email prior to booking a rental car. I was able to go the next day but when I got there it wasnt in the condition that I was told but luckily I was able to get the van for less than the negotiated price.

I knew they wanted to move the van since it was sitting on their lot for 3 months and at the time (5 years ago) gas was pretty expensive and the whole #vanlife thing hadn't completely exploded.

In today's market, it almost seems like if you find something exactly what you're looking for, you need to jump on it. But I would at least call and try to speak to one of the sales managers to try to make a deal and also make sure they still have the van.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I found a van, and it’s across the county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNuke View Post
Option 4, really your best bet.

You have searched locally to no avail, start with a solid base that supports your end goal
I'm with NavyNuke here---you've already somewhat prepared yourself for this outcome which is good. We can be "penny wise but pound foolish" and lose a potentially great deal in the process. None of us relish paying full price for anything but sometimes that's the only way.

Talk to the dealership especially whoever's responsibility this van is. Tell them you're coming in from out of town (will they pick you up at the airport?). Honestly you have no real negotiating power regardless where you live. If they think the van will sell at their asking price they'll hold to it. Its okay to hope there is some room for price negotiating but don't expect to receive anything more than a 10% reduction--or less maybe.

The issue of a small non-refundable deposit will come up if you won't be arriving by the next day---its their gamesmanship in action. Give 'em $200 and get it in writing that amount will be fully credited to any sale.

Your only real "defense" is walking away if you can't come to an agreeable price. Its not a pleasant thought but that too has to be the way it is sometimes.

Hope this works out--sounds like you're interested enough so make plans and let us know how it turns out please. Photos or it never happened!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

Garage
JamesO,
You haven't disclosed the location of the Van you're contemplating, and although its always somewhat of a gamble since another party may swoop in and purchase before you even arrive, know each day that passes provides that same outcome - You may consider letting the group here know at least the City & State...someone here may kindly volunteer to do a quick reconnaissance for you.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
JamesO,
You haven't disclosed the location of the Van you're contemplating, and although its always somewhat of a gamble since another party may swoop in and purchase before you even arrive, know each day that passes provides that same outcome - You may consider letting the group here know at least the City & State...someone here may kindly volunteer to do a quick reconnaissance for you.
This van is in Waukesha, WI.
JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #8

Here is my Autotrader search, $24k?? No idea what the specs are on that rig but looking at this list there are lots of 2014/2013 units in the $18 to $22k asking range. A reputable dealer will normally be motivated to sell the van. Pricing is negotiable, a small refundable deposit should hold the van subject to your inspection. Ask the dealer for a walk around/through video or pics, a CarFax report and the factory sticker equipment listing. This should get you a good idea of what to expect and a much higher chance of completing the transaction. Hope that helps!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Extension=true