Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

How worried should I be? Tie-rod/drag link ends

https://youtu.be/tXmT96zQgs4

https://youtu.be/GjTvUMsWhSs

sierraskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Team

It's been years since I replaced my tie rod ends, so I can't recall if the entire assembly flexed like that or not. Your tie rod end boots are definitely shot.

Here's my thread for when I replaced my tie rod ends.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ends-1995.html

Herb
Old 05-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

Garage
If your even the slightest but worried, I would change them out. It's cheap insurance and will make the steering better if nothing else. Definitely looks a little loosey goosey but I like all my stuff tight.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

Just finished doing all the tie rod ends on our 2000 Quigley. What year is yours?

Something is different on your Passenger side AND the Driver side Tie rod ends where they attach to the steering knuckles. Here are pics I just took:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass Side Tierods.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	16138 Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver side Tie rods.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	16139

Note how the passenger side and driver side tie rod sits above the steering knuckle vs yours which are below. There is a taper in the knuckle to match the taper on the tie rod shaft. Not sure why yours would be different but the knuckles look different on yours, too. And, looking at Herb's thread, his are below as well. Maybe this is why you are getting the unusual rotation in the tie rod ends???

If you have to replace the ends: they were pretty easy to replace. RockAuto.com for the three small ones, about $120 for those, Quigley for the big long one $225. Tool loan from O'Reileys - free. I soaked everything with penetrating oil for a day or so before tackling it. Torque setting for all four tie rod ends is 67 ft-lbs. 41 -lbs for the coupling clamps. You will have to set toe and steering wheel after you finish.

Important note on Quigley Tie rod - It comes with a thin washer. This washer goes between the castle nut and the knuckle.

If you want, I have a Quigley tie rod end here in San Francisco you could buy pretty cheap if it fits your rig/year. I am pretty sure it is okay and I did not need to repalce it. The tech who replaced for the prior owner put the thin washer between the tierod body and the knuckle. This never allowed the tapers to mate and thus it appeared to be worn out. It wiggled because the tapers were not seated.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #5

My rig is a '98

Yes my intent is to get it done as soon as possible, just juggling a bunch of things and wondering how bad/urgent it is. The steering still feels fairly good / not that different than it ever has been without too much play/wander. I was hearing/feeling the 'clunk' once in a while when I had the wheel cranked all the way, so now I'm being as nice as possible on the steering, trying not to crank hard, turning only under motion, etc... (I do that anyway). It's not my daily driver and only gets driven periodically once or twice a weekend. But there is the possibility of a weekend trip coming up here soon so just wanted some opinions from more knowledgeable folks up here.

I don't know a ton about the various steering components and anatomy (yet) and how it * should * look, especially on a Quigley. As much as I would like to learn and do this myself, I do not have the tools or the time so I'm going to have it done. Have spoken to my (somewhat) local guy on the phone who has seen vids and he is wanting to change something about the geometry/layout of the drag link and tie rod. I don't have/can't recall the detail from the one conversation we had, but he is saying a little custom fabrication/reconfiguration work now will allow it to be much more serviceable with OEM parts in the future. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can deduce what he is talking about. I will get the detail when I talk to him next, but just wanted to get other opinions on what my options are.

From the original build sheets it appears much of the drag link and tie rod components are custom Quigley parts but there are a few Ford OEM components in there? I believe I have read on the forum that the drag link and tie rod ends are Ford OEM (or Moog more recently) - it appears Quigley modifies the assembly/geometry of the system to fit the front end - not knowing exactly what I am looking at and trying to figure it out. If I'm going to be in there doing something, do I do the whole assembly or just the TR/DL ends? If I do the whole thing I'm assuming I have to get parts from Quigley? Am I on the right track?

Thanks for educating me

sierraskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:35 PM   #6

digging through old threads for a similar issue, i have a 97 with the same parts list. What did you end up going with?
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote