Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Hydrolocked Motor

Anyone ever done it?

Just curious how deep folks have gone underwater, if anyone has stalled out and if so what type of damage or attention they gave the rig afterwards.

Yea it happened to me this last weekend.

I figured the no brainer stuff was drying the intake, filter and sensors. Checking the fuel tanks and making sure there is no water in the fuel filter. Changing the Oil to ensure no water mixed and keep an eye on the temps and pressures. Other thoughts?

The van is running fine, no different numbers anywhere. It threw a P0113 code when the actual event occurred which makes sense with the intake actually being drowned. I cleared the code after drying out the van and it has not fired a since code sense.

1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Re: Hydrolocked Motor

Stock head bolts? Sometimes they lift a head when you try to crank them over after it fills with coolant or fuel. I would keep an eye on your coolant and oil to make sure you aren't losing coolant now or mixing any in the oil. If the head did lift, it may only leak under high cylinder pressure, i.e. under full load, which means doing a shop combustion gas test doesn't really work.

Have you been checking your axles for signs water? Those usually fill up well before getting it in the intake. Might want to check the T-case too, since it can suck in water through the vent when it cools down when water hits it.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

Its a Ford! Run it tell it stops!! If it had an internal engine problem yoo''ll now it!! Bent rod or broken piston is what I have found in most "wet" engines offroad or offshore..Run It...........Later
1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

I have a friend that was with me who is a diesel mechanic and he drove around with me afterwards and said he really doubts that the engine was damage at all. The engine was running without any difference compared to before the swampping and I have put about 200 miles on it since. EGR temps ranged from 800 to 1200 as I drove up and down mountain passes which were about the same temps that I had prior with no difference in performance.

I just wanted to get a list of things that I should be keeping an eye on.

CarringB thanks for the response. They are not stock head bolts, those were swapped out at Ujoint while my engine was being worked on.

Can you expand on the Axle and Transfer case. I don't know how to check the axles or transfer case for water other than draining the Case and replacing the fluid.

I do know that the van was not underwater for more than a few minutes because I literally lept into action and winched it out right away. The rear axle was under for a bit longer than the front but still not long.
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

Since you have head studs, I doubt any damage was done.

Diff and transfer case.... Pop open the fill plugs, and dip a zip tie to look far any milky-ness. Axles sometimes will suck in water without submerging the vent tube if they are hot when they hit water (they suck air faster than the vent allows).
Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

It wasn't hydrolocked. If it was, either you were very, very lucky, stopped the engine just as the water got in and you removed the plugs to get rid of the water; or you bent/broke connecting rods (or pushed the head up to let the water out) and destroyed the engine. It wasn't the 2nd alternative, and it doesn't sound like like you did anything to purge water out of the cylinders, so most likely the water either blocked the air into the engine or the air flow sensor caused the fuel to shut off when water hit it.

Is there any chance that Ford actually programmed so water on air flow sensor shuts off the engine? That would be nice, but I doubt they had the foresight to do that.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #7

I agree with Mike.

I did hydrolock a Jeep once and didn't really realize the proper way to deal with it. I tried restarting the engine with water still in the cylinders. Note to self, water doesn't compress. I snapped a connecting rod which, after pulling the plugs and pumping the water out of the cylinders, proceeded to rip the oil pan open before it shot a hole through the side of the block. I learned a lot that day. Mostly, how good margaritas taste after a day like that!

Sounds to me like you are fine to me.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote