Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #11

Holy crap Dig. You know, I had the same thing happen on my first SMB back in 2000. I took it to McLea's Tire in Santa Rosa to have new wheels and tires mounted. Then driving back from SFO on 101 I lost the right rear. Luckily I felt it starting to wobble and slowed down to 30 before it fell off. Also luckily I didn't get any body damage. They were cool and took care of new studs for me, but still, I've never gone back to them.

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #12

Glad you're OK.

This is definitely a small claims case. You'll most likely win.

Whenever I get my tires changed or wheels rotated, I'm watching the workers like a hawk.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #13

Glad you guys came out OK on the other side of this. That shop has much explaining to do.

Something that always bothers me is that lugnuts have a specific torque and I am not quite sure if the impact wrenches have a way to adjust torque or not.

Last time I got wheels on I drove it bit then took my beam torque wrench and cranked all the 9/16-18 lug nuts to 140 ft lbs. I believe that's the correct torque.

But wow, they did you very wrong and it's lucky nothing bad happened.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
Glad you're OK.

This is definitely a small claims case. You'll most likely win.
I think it's pretty clear cut, I don't see how he could loose. Prior to going to court though, I'd ask for their insurance companys info, and file a claim with them. It's quite likely they will pay off without an argument but they probably wouldn't pay any punitive damages. I'm not sure you can get that in small claims court either though, that might take a lawyer.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #15

This is part of final receipt, from a "professional" tire shop???
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Wow, sadly that's not the first time we have heard about this kind of thing here, but who would think to check the lugs after a visit to a professional tire shop? Glad no one was hurt, and hopefully, the guy who did the work is looking for a job in a different field.

I had a Nissan dealer here send me off with one wheel missing all of the lug nuts. Got about 1/2 mile down the road before i felt something wrong. Now I check all wheels if I get new tires or have anyone work on them. I do everything I can myself to make sure it's done right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #17

One thing that has happened to me several times when having my tires rotated is that they don't readjust the pressures correctly for front and back. I.e., they out the 80psi rear tires on the front and don't decrease the pressure meanwhile my rear tires are now at 55psi. Not major, but annoying.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yikes, that's a bit of damage, I'd be livid!....after I counted my lucky stars. I once had a tire shop do a rotation on a set I purchased from them, luckily I was outside and was watching them pull the rig out when I noticed the rear wheel wobble and almost fall off, yelled for him to stop. After that close call, I never returned to that shop. I go to Discount Tire now and they're pretty on it, they always ask what pressures I want, but I still hand check all the lugs and make a point of talking to the tech that did the work if he torqued and changed pressures. Glad you walked away from that one!

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
who would think to check the lugs after a visit to a professional tire shop?

me....call me anal but......well, just call me anal....

This will hopefully be a straightforward claim, that really sucks...unbelievable...good thing it wasn't much worse....

For the last decade or more for both of my vehicles I remove the wheels, remove the center caps and use another vehicle to transport them to and from the tire shop.....for reasons like this....yes, the van wheels are big and heavy....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
One thing that has happened to me several times when having my tires rotated is that they don't readjust the pressures correctly for front and back. I.e., they out the 80psi rear tires on the front and don't decrease the pressure meanwhile my rear tires are now at 55psi. Not major, but annoying.
..and that's a larger PITA on 2008+ vans.....since the TPMS sensors need to be reprogrammed when rotating...at least the sensors will tell you your pressures are backwards..
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote