Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
me....call me anal but......well, just call me anal....

For the last decade or more for both of my vehicles I remove the wheels, remove the center caps and use another vehicle to transport them to and from the tire shop.....for reasons like this....yes, the van wheels are big and heavy....

Hey Anal,....... you can bet that from now on, I'll check the lugs after anyone else has worked on them. As for simply bringing the wheels in, I did the when I bought my last set of tires, but they had no way to know that there was no room for ballancing weights on the far inside of the rim. I mounted them on the van, and before I had moved 5 feet, all the weights had been ripped off and one was jammed in the caliper. Now I know better.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #22

My advice: Talk with the shop owner, be clear as to what you want him to do (repair body and axle damage, replace the wheel. A good body shop that you select, not his brother in law's shop, can handle the entire job) Then, after he gives you the run around, two weeks later claims he is not liable, open a case with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. And talk to your insurance company.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #23

I've had specialty rigs my entire life, so I tend to do most of the repairs myself. It often sucks. It seems whenever I trust someone else to work on my stuff, it's about 35% 'come-back' rate. Then I have to argue and get up in their face to get them to own the issue, and make it right. What a hassle!

I've had several people close to me question me working on my own stuff, I'm not 30 anymore, my ex-wife, recently girlfriends, particularly when I'm wrenching before a trip, things aren't going well. I say the same thing...

"at least if I work on it myself, I know I'll have the courage to stop, question how something is not fitting, buy the right parts, tools, and take as long as it takes to GET IT DONE RIGHT"

Profit motivated shops rarely will stop and question. Unacceptable when it comes to my safety.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

"at least if I work on it myself, I know I'll have the courage to stop, question how something is not fitting, buy the right parts, tools, and take as long as it takes to GET IT DONE RIGHT"
Dad is that you?

Honestly that's not really a joke. I practice the same thing TomsBeast dose and it's because of my father. I grew up like a lot of mechanical folks working on and being around airplanes, race cars, large heavy equipment, and more. Because of the obvious dangers and money it was common practice to check other mechanics work and take no offence if someone checks yours.

I'm also glad you came away with only a damaged van and no one was hurt but I sympathize with you that this is a pain in the ass project you weren't planning on.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #25

I will play devils advocate here.....most shop invoices have a warning asking you to return within 50 miles so the lug nuts can be re torqued. I know on my old subaru when I had a tire off I could clean the hub and rim, torque to the correct spec, and it would always be loose like clockwork at 75 miles IF I didnt re torque them.

Having said that, the shop sounds like they have no clue what they are doing and likely are liable as they may have over tightened and sheared the lugs.
Gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote