Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

I think I've been approaching this wrong...

I was planning to invest money in a new build, but now I think it would better to buy a used Class B van first and wear it out traveling. I'd then have a much better idea of what I want, and don't want, before I invest so much money in my custom van.

So, anyone have a older RB50 or similar van they're ready to part with? I think I like the RB50 build the most, but am open to others since this will be exploratory process.

I appreciate everyone who's answered my questions on the forums and message boards. You've been such a big help to me and I appreciate your time.

Journey

MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Re: I think I've been approaching this wrong...

You might want to post an ad in the classifieds section of this forum with a "WTB" (want to buy) in the title. Details like your budget and "must have" options would be helpful so people can keep an eye out for you. Hopefully you can find your future Sportsmobile soon!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Journey,
That's exactly what we did. We thought we wanted a new Sprinter based SMB, but we bought a 10 year old Ford RB-50 as a "starter" SMB and are having so much fun with it we don't even think about the Sprinter. We'll re-assess our needs/wants after we wear this one out!

Brad
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
You might want to post an ad in the classifieds section of this forum with a "WTB" (want to buy) in the title. Details like your budget and "must have" options would be helpful so people can keep an eye out for you. Hopefully you can find your future Sportsmobile soon!
Thanks, Mikracer - I posted a WTB.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm
Journey,
That's exactly what we did. We thought we wanted a new Sprinter based SMB, but we bought a 10 year old Ford RB-50 as a "starter" SMB and are having so much fun with it we don't even think about the Sprinter. We'll re-assess our needs/wants after we wear this one out!

Brad
Thanks Brad! How many miles did your starter SMB have? Have you had any problems with it?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourneys
I was planning to invest money in a new build, but now I think it would better to buy a used Class B van first and wear it out traveling. I'd then have a much better idea of what I want, and don't want, before I invest so much money in my custom van.

Journey
Good plan with which I agree wholeheartedly. There have been lots of SMBs, including several 50's, for sale this Spring. Keep your eyes open and others will for you also. I recommend a V10 if you want something to get in and go and not have to maintain a lot. The difference in fuel mileage (gas vs diesel) is nothing compared to the expensive maintenance of a diesel. I hope I don't stir up the hornet's nest, but diesels are mostly for people who just want a diesel. The V10 is a quiet and reliable workhorse, and the smaller 5.4 gas might just work for you as well.

Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

Good plan with which I agree wholeheartedly. There have been lots of SMBs, including several 50's, for sale this Spring. Keep your eyes open and others will for you also. I recommend a V10 if you want something to get in and go and not have to maintain a lot. The difference in fuel mileage (gas vs diesel) is nothing compared to the expensive maintenance of a diesel. I hope I don't stir up the hornet's nest, but diesels are mostly for people who just want a diesel. The V10 is a quiet and reliable workhorse, and the smaller 5.4 gas might just work for you as well.

Good luck!

Thanks, Scotty!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

I hope you won't consider it patronizing if I compliment you on your insight.

I have often seen a first-timer show up with a kayak which was totally inappropriate for the conditions. Although I certainly appreciated the newbie's enthusiasm and financial commitment to the sport, more likely than not, money was wasted and the enjoyment of learning was impeded when the supplied beginner boats were more appropriate.

Focusing on "things" (nouns), as you astutely recognized, is often less beneficial than focusing on "doing" (verbs).

So much so that doing is especially more important than having when embarking on a new endeavor.

And the knowledge necessary to know what to acquire, to keep, and to have, can only be gained by doing.

While doing you will learn the many different where, what, whens and whys of using a rig like a Sportsmobile. The tradeoffs in benefits of options such as a fixed top vs a Penthouse top will become obvious when used in snow, sand or elsewhere.

And while doing, you will meet more experienced people and they will share their learning experiences with you. (A fool learns by trial and error. While a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.)

Another benefit of doing, whether it be kayaking or Sportsmobiling is that you will be initiated into the group and be exposed to the groups' collection of used equipment which others have outgrown or needs have changed, possibly sold at better prices or by group members with reputations for trustworthiness.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
I hope you won't consider it patronizing if I compliment you on your insight.
Not at all - I'm just glad I finally came to my senses.

I've traveled and camped (tents, pop-ups, pull-alongs), but this is different. I'll be using it as a combined mobile office/travel vehicle instead of just a camper for the weekend, so I really don't know what I'll need until I use it.

So, anyway... thanks.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #10

Thanks Brad! How many miles did your starter SMB have? Have you had any problems with it?[/quote]

142,000 but who's counting? Other than a tire shred incident 40 miles off paved roads in Eastern Oregon we've had no problems. It is a lot of miles, but I've learned here on the forum that these rigs will go and go if properly maintained.

Brad
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote