Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

I'm thinking about buying a Sportsmobile

...and I could use some help. I have recently sold my diesel pusher, due in part to the age of the wife and I. I'll be 70 this year and my wife has just turned 72. Here's our situation. The wife and I do not drive much at all nowadays, and we'd like to have something like a Sportsmobile or a GTRV, for example, that we can use as an everyday vehicle, and garage it when not in use. Our son and his lady could friend would also benefit from it as well. I have never driven a Sportsmobile, and I have read comments that say they are top heavy, or those with the short wheel base do not give a good ride on some roads due to the weight in the overhang. And, what about power on pulling mountain grades with an E150, such as the one at the following link that weighs in at 7600 pounds, and is erroneously advertised as an E250?: http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowns/23 Additionally, what might be a fair offer for this one? Lastly, I like the idea of having a four wheel drive too. I know, I know. I would not be able to put a 4x4 in my garage which is standard size, but the foregoing points that I have made are where I'm at right now. I could use some helpful comments from the experienced Sportsmobile owners in an effort to help me along with these issues. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

James

James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: I'm thinking about buying a Sportsmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by James4
...and I could use some help. I have recently sold my diesel pusher, due in part to the age of the wife and I. I'll be 70 this year and my wife has just turned 72. Here's our situation. The wife and I do not drive much at all nowadays, and we'd like to have something like a Sportsmobile or a GTRV, for example, that we can use as an everyday vehicle, and garage it when not in use. Our son and his lady could friend would also benefit from it as well. I have never driven a Sportsmobile, and I have read comments that say they are top heavy, or those with the short wheel base do not give a good ride on some roads due to the weight in the overhang. And, what about power on pulling mountain grades with an E150, such as the one at the following link that weighs in at 7600 pounds, and is erroneously advertised as an E250?: http://www.sportsmobile's site/preowns/23 Additionally, what might be a fair offer for this one? Lastly, I like the idea of having a four wheel drive too. I know, I know. I would not be able to put a 4x4 in my garage which is standard size, but the foregoing points that I have made are where I'm at right now. I could use some helpful comments from the experienced Sportsmobile owners in an effort to help me along with these issues. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

James
Sounds like you're looking for a used vehicle? Planning on any off road drives?
The Chevy has an advantage with some vehicles having all wheel drive. They also ride better than most Fords. Just a thought but are much harder to come by.

SMB does make a G-top that sits lower to make it fit many standard garages but again they are hard to come by.

I'm sure some members can give you a ride height to see if a Ford without a lift will fit if that is what you are looking at.

Between the E-150, and E-250 I'm told there is a bit of difference in the frame after certain years. Also how much the conversion weighs and what you load might determine what chassis you want. These vans can get heavy which is why many shoot for the E-350. Towing can be an issue so you would want to see what the vehicle can tow (max combind weight...ect). As far as the engine, there are several who feel the V-10 is more than they need and are happy with the smaller engine.

BTW I don't feel a PH is top heavy; cornering is more a suspension/tire thing. I've had my 4x4 SMB on a 28* angle...it didn't tip over. I was actually surprised how well it corners on the road.

Good luck on your search

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Kinda mixed message...if you want a soft ride you shouldn't be considering 4x4 trucks or vans . And good sway bars take care of any top heavy issues; I can corner as well as any truck of similar weight.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

daveb: I am looking for a used vehicle, and if it does get off road that would be unusual. Thanks for the tip on the Chevy all wheel drive, and the G-top, even though they are hard to come by. I appreciate the other notes that you have made as well, including the one on handling, and the luck you wish for me too.

rob_gendreau: It is a mixed message, but as stated, it's where I am at right now. Our current vehicle is a 1999 GMC SLT Sierra, ExCab w/short bed. It's a a 4x4, Z71, HD tow pkg., and we like how it rides, but we've never had a van. Thanks for the input on the sway bar!
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote