Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #11

Re: Insurance coverage -- again

Didn't want to start a new topic, so I hope this is appropriate here, but I'm tired of getting hosed and my rate raised by Geico every year, despite being a good driver, etc.

Can anyone recommend a company that does auto, home and umbrella? I was looking at Amica, but am open to any good recommendations.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #12

We have everything through State Farm. Home, Umbrella, SMB insured as an RV, 2 cars and a pickup, under $3K/yr.

Last year we had an accident on a new Focus. They paid quickly, and more than I paid for the car new!

Local agents and nationwide coverage is nice because we travel in the SMB.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #13

Insurance coverage -- again

We have been with Farmers for over 30 years with two or three cars and he SMB registered as a van plus two homes etc. Had great service after several auto incidents including a totaled Voyager.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #14

thanks to you both. going to investigate them.

I am used to sucking it up and paying a lot as a NYC resident, but it's out of control with the insurance lately.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #15

Just spent an hour today with my Farmers rep that we have all our things insured with. We just got the van home today which is empty inside. He stated until the interior build out was done to qualify for an RV my rate was almost double. We are starting the interior build in early Jan. Not very happy about the situation.

Interesting that by the time we are done we will have twice the money in it but the rate will be cut more than half once a toilet is in it?? Just does not make sense.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Just spent an hour today with my Farmers rep that we have all our things insured with. We just got the van home today which is empty inside. He stated until the interior build out was done to qualify for an RV my rate was almost double. We are starting the interior build in early Jan. Not very happy about the situation.

Interesting that by the time we are done we will have twice the money in it but the rate will be cut more than half once a toilet is in it?? Just does not make sense.
Time to start filing complaints with your individual state insurance comissioner office.
Licensed insurance professionals have minimal standards to operate by and can have their licenses and or credentials/s or designations suspended or revoked for incompetence.
CaveCreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #17

Before our van underwent its conversion at SMB West, it was costing slightly over $1,000 a year to insure under our Liberty Mutual auto policy. Once the conversion was finished we insured it with Blue Sky (RV America) as a part-time RV with agreed value coverage for I think five model years for only $571 a year. This was so much less as to cause concern about whether we would get good coverage if we had a claim. (But not enough concern not to buy the policy.) Our Liberty Mutual agent looked it over for us and couldn't find anything amiss so we went with Blue Sky.

This summer we drove the SMB to Alaska and back and like most folks ended up needing a new windshield. Blue Sky wrote a check no questions asked for their share less our $100 deductible. Basically they paid out more on this windshield than our whole first year's premium!

And we just got the bill for the annual renewal, same price to the penny as we paid last year. So it looks like we can recommend Blue Sky, at least for a factory conversion.
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #18

Durang, that is basically what my carrier is saying too. Once the conversion is done the rate goes down 50% or so.

One reason I am trying to get my build started ASAP.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #19

We took our empty van to SMB West about 6-8 weeks before they were able to start the conversion and left it with them. Once it was on their lot we discontinued all insurance except Comprehensive because they have coverage on any vehicles in their possession. That saved us a bundle.

I don't understand either why RV rates are so much lower than regular Auto, except that they are based on only part-time use. RV America says their rates are so low because they specialize in RVs and RV owners as a group tend to have a good safety record.
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #20

Thanks to you all, and to report back, I switched from Geico to State Farm and saved over 1200 bucks a year between my house and auto insurance.

I'm going to make a point of getting new quotes every couple of years now. Geico had my loyalty and money for 14 years and that was way too long.