Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Just the opposite for me here in CA. My agent at State Farm didn't want to touch my van even though it's RVIA approved.
I had the same experience until Rally put me in touch with his State farm agent who had some code number that identified SMB's. Once my agent had that info, I was able to insure it. I think each agent has a lot of power to decide what to insure and for how much. There must be some type of rating system the monitors how many claims an agent has and determines if he is writing too many risky policys. It's probably why different agents within the same company give different answers.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I had the same experience until Rally put me in touch with his State farm agent who had some code number that identified SMB's. Once my agent had that info, I was able to insure it. I think each agent has a lot of power to decide what to insure and for how much. There must be some type of rating system the monitors how many claims an agent has and determines if he is writing too many risky policys. It's probably why different agents within the same company give different answers.
I think it's just agents being lazy and/or stupid.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage
Well my agent flat didn't want anything to do with it so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Like progressive they had issues with no black water tank as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Well my agent flat didn't want anything to do with it so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Like progressive they had issues with no black water tank as well.
Yeah, State Farm corporate couldn't care less about black water tank or anything else.. but SMBs are rare enough they're not in the computer so the agent can't just punch in a few things and be done... they have to call corporate and get more info.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #25

Update of my education about the ever changing market of Auto vs. RV insurance: And first a disclaimer, I am only passing on what I have learned from hours of phone calls trying to solve my insurance problems, and results appear to vary greatly based upon which state you are in, which agent / employee you happen to get to talk to, and what words you use in describing your Sportsmobile.

This year I ended up in a similar situation to Beth's, except that I have two other daily driver vehicles. Back in April I received notification from my State Farm agent that their corporate office was going to "non-renew" my "Annual RV Policy" on my Sportsmobile when the coverage period ended in August, "because they were unable to find a State Farm '6-month Auto Policy' for any other (daily driver) vehicle."
This situation occurred because I formerly had all of my vehicles insured with State Farm until they refused to write a policy on my new BMW motorcycle (at the time I didn't have my motorcycle training and license completed, and I was just trying to truck the motorcycle from the dealership to my garage in the dead of winter). So I called Geico and not only were they happy to insure the motorcycle, they also gave me quotes on my two daily drivers that would save me about $350 per year, and offered me a $1 Million Umbrella liability policy for about half of what State Farm wanted for similar coverage. All seemed well, but then when the renewal date for the Sportsmobile RV Policy with State Farm was approaching, I called Geico back to switch over the policy and they "declined to cover it as an RV" and were only willing to write a "6-Month Auto Policy" covering it as a Ford van. Oh well, I renewed my RV Policy for another year with State Farm and there was no issue until this spring,

Back to my "new hobby" of shopping for RV insurance,.. here is what I found:
-No company will write an "Agreed Value Policy" on a Sportsmobile that is over 10 years old,.. (Progressive will on new vehicles, until their 11 year at which point the policy is converted to an "Actual Cash Value" (ACH) policy. FMCA RV Insurance (w/ membership in Family Motor Coach Association) will write an "Agreed Value Policy" for total replacement loss on a new Sportsmobile, or on a used one up to 10 years old with an appraisal.

-Premium prices varied greatly by company, who you talked at the agency, and the phase of the moon, for apparently the same coverage. Examples for Annual ACH RV policies starting at $80K value: I was paying State Farm $432; Foremost/Farmers wanted $1019; Progressive initially quoted me $539 in April, but then wanted $840 to write it this August; and Geico declined as mentioned.

-When you are talking to the agent / employee, do not describe your Sportsmobile as a "conversion van" or "van converted to a camper", those are apparently dirty words in the auto insurance industry. Instead, refer to the Sportsmobile as a "Class B Motorhome", and if they start asking lots of questions about the "required equipment" you are probably going to shop for a different agent.

-Realize that the "Actual Cash Value" (ACH) RV policy that you are probably going to end up with begins at the initial "stated value" (supported by sales invoice or appraisal) and begins depreciating immediately, per the company's schedule (i.e. You pay the same annual premium, but the amount that the insurance company will pay you in a total loss is ever declining, supposedly related to the "market value" of similar vehicles (age and mileage wise),... and you will likely have to haggle and supply many "comparables" to them to get any satisfactory settlement).

-If you buy a new Sportsmobile, get that "Agreed Value Policy" (full replacement coverage) while you can for the first 10 years of vehicle age.

-An ACH RV Policy (annual) is still better than a standard "Auto" Policy (6-month),.. while both are depreciated similarly, the "Auto" policy is only using the "book value" of the van as a starting point (without any of the SMB modifications).

-Lastly, don't believe anything that the agent / employee is promising you, unless it is stated in the policy,... and read the fine print!

So, my coverage was about to expire this August, my State Farm agent came up with a creative work-around. They wrote a "$2K Comprehensive Only" Auto policy with a 6-month premium of $12 for one of my daily driver vehicles already insured for liability by Geico,.. this apparently satisfied the corporate office that there was in fact a "daily driver" vehicle, and State Farm renewed my Sportsmobile annual RV Policy for another year.
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #26

Hello all. Just called around today to get quotes for the SMB that we currently own and on the one we are thinking about buying. Progressive agents stated they will NOT insure a converted van (even though they had provided a quote earlier). Any thoughts? We are looking for insurance for our 2001 SMB Ford 4X4.
Mike in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #27

Mike, Welcome. As stated above, our 2001 is insured by State Farm, and our agent is located in Wa. A couple folks here have had claims with them that ended up with fair settlements after a long period of negotiations. Let us know what you end up doing.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Seattle View Post
Hello all. Just called around today to get quotes for the SMB that we currently own and on the one we are thinking about buying. Progressive agents stated they will NOT insure a converted van (even though they had provided a quote earlier). Any thoughts? We are looking for insurance for our 2001 SMB Ford 4X4.
If either/both of the vans are SMBs and have RVIAA stickers on them then you want RV insurance. Much cheaper than regular auto insurance and they shouldn't be bringing up the term "conversion van".
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #29

Yep ^^ I think you and this agent need to talk again. Assure them that this is a legitimately branded recreational vehicle with thousands of units on the road, and definitely insure it as an RV and save yourself some money. Mention RVIA sticker, have them Google Sportsmobile.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #30

Hi. I ended up going with Hartford for my SMB (and home and umbrella coverage). I could have chosen Good Sam but it would have cost more. I am paying too much IMO but the vehicle MUST be insured. Note that my situation is unique; the SMB is my only vehicle. NOBODY would insure it as a RV. The "logic" seems to be: RV coverage is possible only when you also own and insure another (so-called primary) vehicle. My current coverage is as a primary vehicle. There is no acknowledgement of it being a van conversion. Thus I am exposed to a large loss if my 2000 Dodge SMB is totaled in an accident.

Maybe my comments are irrelevant to your situation. But I wanted to share them.

Good luck.
MarlanaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance