Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Interior & Penthouse transfer

I own a 1994 Dodge RB 30 available to see at (soaringhawk). Do any of you know of someone who has removed the entire interior and penthouse and transferred it to a new van. I’d really like a low mile 2017 Ford Transit with barn doors and a pop-top. Interior dimensions seem to be similar. The interior and equipment in the 94 Dodge are all in very good condition. Not really sure if this would be realistic. Perhaps someone has a good therapist? Any thoughts whether the transfer would be worth the labor involved would be appreciated. The transfer of the pop-top I would hire out. The interior and electric I could handle. A Reality check would be appreciated. Did I hear laughter? Terry

soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

I've never heard of anyone doing it to a different van i.e. Dodge -> ford transit. I have seen a few people have success going econoline > econoline or dodge -> dodge. I would think it would all fit overall, but nothing would be in the same place to tie it all down. And the pop top would NOT fit at all because the roof profile would be totally different.

But what do I know, i've never done it. If you do it, take lots of pics and let us all cheer you on.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

Definitely possible. I transplanted a 3rd generation Ford pop top to a 4th generation Ford and had to do some trimming and fiberglass work around the edges of the top to get it to match the different roof lines. You would probably need to do something similar. The lift mechanism and canvas would probably need no modifications.

Unfortunately I think you would have a hard time finding someone willing to take that on given the uncertainty of the fit and the risk of cutting a hole in the top and then not a having a properly fitting top to cover it.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

Swapping SMB interiors between different make vans would be a disaster as stated above. You'd be better off just yanking the appliances out of the Dodge and using them in a fresh cabinet build in the Transit. It's all square inside. Much easier to build out than the old vans. Remember, 'square inside' is a relative term.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Thank you all Senior members!....... Got me thinking about it in a new way. All your thoughts are valued as always. Like the idea of re-using what I can and a new cabinet build out to fit. Sometimes it’s twice the work to try to force fit the old. Thanks Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Soaringhawk,
I'm in St Pete. I'm starting a conversion on an '06 350. my background is yaght carpentry and running boats. Maybe we could catch up and discuss what you have and are looking to do.
Not sure how to pm somebody here so find my e-mail below. Drop me a note if you are inclined.
Cheers,
Phred

wsengleby@gmail.com
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote