Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #21

Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Awesome! Thank you for the info. The primary purpose will be to cool us down at night so it sounds like we will be fine with the 8000 BTU. Thanks!

Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #22

Not too long ago I read an article that a member posted here detailing how he sets up a standard home window unit to cool the van. He sets it on the roof of the cab at campground with vent blowing cold air through the front screen zip window. I have been unable to find it again. Maybe you have seen this already but it looked promising and I remember it cooled very well. Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #23

I saw that AC set up and it looked pretty sweet. My issue is I like the idea of being able to run the aux. air with the top down if I just want to pull over for lunch and with the top down it should cool even better.

Now I just gotta figure how to get a box built for the bumper on my dodge to store the portable AC, but that's for a different thread another day.

Louie
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #24

Regarding how to mount your generator, have you thought about getting one of those cargo carriers that mount on the trailer hitch receiver. They are available lots of places for less than $75.

For lunch stops in the blazing heat, I just use the vehicle AC. It's simple and convenient and doesn't use that much gas. Just be sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your rig, something we all should have. In the winter time I use the vehicle's heater for the same reasons. In the era of fuel injection this does not harm the engine as it did in the carburetor days. Sometimes I think we tend to forget that we already have a heater, AC, and generator with us at all times. I don't recommend using the engine for hours at a time but for shorter times it is fine. The slight increase use of fuel pales in comparison to the cost of a generator and the hassle hauling it and the fuel for it around. The vehicle engine at idle (except for a diesel) is as quiet or quieter than most generators. Of course if you are camping where there is no shore power then a generator makes sense especially in the extremes of heat and cold.

Good luck.