Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
is danhard AC louder than roof AC

anybody know comparisons of danhard to roof ac as far as loudness.

how loud inside the van
and how loud to your neighbors

is it louder to a neighbor than a roof AC would be.
__________________

__________________
gerry
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 66
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Yes, my danhard is much louder than a rooftop AC. It is the exterior fans that run when the compressor is on that is loud. It isn't a sound that is so loud it is painfull but the sound carries surprisingly far.

Inside that van I don't really hear it that much as the interior fans drown it out.
__________________

skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 39
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

In my non-too-humble opinion the Danhard AC system is much louder both inside and outside, so much so that it is obnoxious. I am embarrassed to run it around other campers especially tent campers plus my wife can't sleep with the noise it makes inside. The compressor makes a low rumbling sound that carries through the entire inside. I have tried to modify the compressor mounts to no avail. I am sorry that I wasted my money on this thing.

Even though I paid big money for this system, I am currently exploring installing a portable AC unit. I found one that fits between the driver's and passenger's seats of my EB Ford. Now all I have to do is to design a way to vent it out of the passenger window. Suggestions from anyone as to how to do this would be appreciated.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost.
bentriderken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentriderken
In my non-too-humble opinion the Danhard AC system is much louder both inside and outside, so much so that it is obnoxious. I am embarrassed to run it around other campers especially tent campers plus my wife can't sleep with the noise it makes inside. The compressor makes a low rumbling sound that carries through the entire inside. I have tried to modify the compressor mounts to no avail. I am sorry that I wasted my money on this thing.

Even though I paid big money for this system, I am currently exploring installing a portable AC unit. I found one that fits between the driver's and passenger's seats of my EB Ford. Now all I have to do is to design a way to vent it out of the passenger window. Suggestions from anyone as to how to do this would be appreciated.
i have looked at these in the past(sylvane website) arent't there long vents(like dryer vents)

I also believe they make some portable A/c that have seperate intake and outake hoses.
__________________
gerry
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Posts: 67
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

I have a starcool unit, and yes, it is known for having a high pitch whine that sounds like a vacuum cleaner. A few years ago I did quite a bit of digging around on this site and found out that Paul at Sportsmobile could give the model and make for a speed control that would slow down the noisy radiator fan. I think it cost about $50. Instead of attaching it permanently I set it up to hook into the wiring only when I need it. When A/C is needed in a campground I camp with the front end pointed away from campers and into the trees or bushes. The sound is mostly directional off the front of the van. When slowed down it's tolerable. Also, when air conditioning I sometimes park next to the big rigs since they are all closed up with their A/C running. No complaints from other campers yet but be aware that when the fan is slowed down the unit does not cool as well, but still keeps you comfortable with the top down. Also, mine does a good job of keeping the humidity down at night even if it isn't as cool as I would like. All in all it works but has limits. A mechanic friend suggested I replace the fan with and twin fan automotive unit. I have no idea if that's possible, but he said the auto fan is much quieter. If any one has done this successfully I too would like to hear your results.
Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
photographix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 457
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Mine's loud, too. Obnoxious, as bentriderken said.

Mine has 2 fans with aluminum blades. A couple replacements for the similar 70-2030 Danhard are here:

http://www.danhard.com/125sparts.htm

which look to be plastic blades and cages. No idea on cost.
__________________
DesertBoat
08 E-350 6.0 Quigley 4x4 modified EB19
My photos: ToddHakala.com
photographix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 577
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentriderken
.....cut......

Even though I paid big money for this system, I am currently exploring installing a portable AC unit. I found one that fits between the driver's and passenger's seats of my EB Ford. Now all I have to do is to design a way to vent it out of the passenger window. Suggestions from anyone as to how to do this would be appreciated.
If I were using a portable AC, I would vent it through floor instead of window. I'd install a vent port in a location where it's either not visible and or hose is not in the way of traffic. I considered a small portable AC but in the end went with a window unit mounted permanently inside but vented outside much like a portable. I decided against a portable AC because they take up too much room. Most are very large for the capacity. In my case I also wanted a smaller unit so I could run it on inverter in the future -- which I never got around to doing for lack of need.

Venting through floor is also very quiet to other campers. I can't hear mine even when standing outside right by it (granted it's only 5000 BTU/hr). It also can't leak in rain or let bugs in if not sealed completely like I've seen on window vents.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentriderken
.....cut......

Even though I paid big money for this system, I am currently exploring installing a portable AC unit. I found one that fits between the driver's and passenger's seats of my EB Ford. Now all I have to do is to design a way to vent it out of the passenger window. Suggestions from anyone as to how to do this would be appreciated.
If I were using a portable AC, I would vent it through floor instead of window. I'd install a vent port in a location where it's either not visible and or hose is not in the way of traffic. I considered a small portable AC but in the end went with a window unit mounted permanently inside but vented outside much like a portable. I decided against a portable AC because they take up too much room. Most are very large for the capacity. In my case I also wanted a smaller unit so I could run it on inverter in the future -- which I never got around to doing for lack of need.

Venting through floor is also very quiet to other campers. I can't hear mine even when standing outside right by it (granted it's only 5000 BTU/hr). It also can't leak in rain or let bugs in if not sealed completely like I've seen on window vents.
safari condo does this 2nd item down

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/accessoires_motorises


removable rear AC
__________________
gerry
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 577
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51

safari condo does this 2nd item down

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/accessoires_motorises


removable rear AC
That's a much simpler installation than mine but I wanted mine out of sight. You can't see my AC at all from outside van.

Regarding sound, sticking window unit through van rear door should make it quieter for passengers/campers inside van, but louder for those outside van (like other campers).

On my AC unit when the compressor kicks on the sound level picks up a little. Not much but in my opinion the compressor makes more noise than the fan and blower on my small AC.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 39
Re: is danhard AC louder than roof AC

Thanks to Chance and others for suggesting I vent the portable AC through the floor using a porthole arrangement. I will consider it further after I determine if the unit I bought will work satisfactorily on a hot day. That arrangement does offer a lot of advantages although it will take a bit of bravery and careful inspection for me to cut a hole in the floor. I wish Sportsmobile had worked to perfect an installation based on a portable AC approach rather than the noisy and expensive systems they have used in the past.

I was able to find a 8000 BTU unit that has a small footprint to allow it to stand between the driver and passenger seats. It is rather tall however.
__________________

__________________
Not all who wander are lost.
bentriderken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×