Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #1

It only took a little cutting but...

It only took a little cutting but I got the transmission cooler to fit in my SMB. The trans. cooler I used was this one:

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Hi-Tek ... ameter-fan

Recommended by John & Dana in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2921&start=30

I purchased a Scan Gauge a few months back but our recent trip to the Pacific NW then Death Valley was the first time I did any significant driving in order to monitor the trans. temp. Trans. temp. was pretty low, ~175 on the highway and most of the driving but when I would hit long, steep mountain grades, especially the North and South Passes in Saline Valley, DV, the temp. would shoot up to as high as 260! At this point I would pull over and let the trans. cool before going again. I know this is the 2nd transmission in this van so I have been paranoid about overheating it; hence the scan gauge. I flushed it and replaced the fluid before the trip just so I would know it was good to go.

I am moving back east and thought another trans. cooler couldn't hurt, especially since I will be pulling a trailer. In order to get the cooler to fit I had to cut out some plastic behind the grill but after we did this I was able to get it to fit and mounted really well. The day before the install I ran it hard up toward Kolob Reservoir to see what the temp. would get up to. The day I got the cooler mounted and the grill back on I did the same drive in the same outside temp. and the transmission was 15 degrees cooler! This was even before the fan was properly hooked up. One issue I had was that the only way I was able to mount the cooler was upside down, which causes the sensor not to kick on at the temp. it is designed too. I knew this was going to be an issue because the instructions said so. So I mounted a toggle on the dash to manually turn the fan on when I think I need it. Another issue I had was getting the grill off...I actually had to unbolt the big arse bumper to gain the extra inch of space to remove the grill. Not too difficult but damn, that bumper is heavy.

Here are some pics. of the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Trans Cooler 3.JPG   Trans Cooler 2.JPG  

Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #2

Re: It only took a little cutting but...

Sorry to hear you are leaving god's country to go back east. I hope it is a good career move, cause it's hard to believe the scenery will be better.

Cooler installation looks clean.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Yeah, bummer I'm leaving Utah but I got a good Parkie job in the Smokies. Looks I'll be living in the Asheville area and doing the commute thing. I can't imagine trying to live in Gatlinburg...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

Wow.

Actually, that is a fairly cool area. We got married in Morganton, just down the road from Ashville. As I recall, anything not tied down was stolen in short order. Several people warned us about it.

Good luck with the move.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote