Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

K8986 E350 caster adjusters

Hi. I purchased these and was going to install them to max out the caster. They come with instructions to set the caster/camber to specific amounts by lining up the letters.

Has anyone done this and not needed to take to an alignment shop afterwards? Just by following the instructions?

NCMODELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:00 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMODELA View Post
Hi. I purchased these and was going to install them to max out the caster. They come with instructions to set the caster/camber to specific amounts by lining up the letters.

Has anyone done this and not needed to take to an alignment shop afterwards? Just by following the instructions?
I too thought of using those or something similar until I found out its possible to set + caster at the recommended 5 degrees using the stock style limited range alignment bushings. My preference would be those but that's just me.

Whichever way you go definitely have a competent alignment shop check and verify the changes. The chain store tire outfits won't typically know how to deal with the +5 setting as their books say the spec is +3.

If you DIY this please let us know your results.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

I was going to do pep boys lifetime alignment for 150. Had it done by ford and it was no good. They set it to 3.8 and 4.1 or so.

When you set yours to plus 5 did you see a improvement in handling?

How did you make yours go to plus 5 with stock ones?
NCMODELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMODELA View Post
I was going to do pep boys lifetime alignment for 150. Had it done by ford and it was no good. They set it to 3.8 and 4.1 or so.

When you set yours to plus 5 did you see a improvement in handling?

How did you make yours go to plus 5 with stock ones?
I've not done this yet but its soon to happen as I want to buy new Michelin tires---do NOT want those running on an unverified alignment. I will replace the stock '05 radius arm bushings at the same time---mine are due I think.

In order to achieve +5 caster the stock type existing alignment bushings will probably have to be changed---depending where your alignment is done those might run you as much as $30 each.

If you're not aware those bushings come in ranges of adjustment, often times no more than +/- 1 degree. Whatever the current caster/camber settings AND assuming the bushings do not have enough range for the +5 setting---this is where new bushings with the correct range would be required.

Some quicky or chain store tire sellers who also do alignments don't usually care for the SPC bushings--they require a bit of thinking and/or knowledge about steering adjustments in order to achieve the desired results. They don't lend themselves to in & out alignments even though they're about as simple and uncomplicated as can be.

Before I go on too much longer trying finding a shop specializing in big trucks or buses as their techs tend to be much more experienced and knowledgeable. You'll pay for that expertise but even in worst-case scenarios you won't spend more than $300 for the service.

I'll add since I've not yet driven any E-Series with the caster at +5 degrees I can't personally say how or whether it really does improve anything. I will say too many who've done that change love it, say the change is immediately noticeable and highly recommend it to others.

I hope this helps!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

From my experience, do NOT pay for a lifetime warranty from a chain store, unless you have previous experience with them aligning your van. I bought a lifetime alignment deal from Firestone while traveling in New Mexico (took our van back to Chaco and needed an alignment after the bad washboard access road). Tried my local Firestones a few times bu they never got it right. I now pay to take it to a good local tire and suspension shop. Worth the $125 or so to get it right even though I could get it “free” at Firestone.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote