Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Leaky Top (Again) You're kidding right? No, I'm Serious (2)

For the back story you can read here:
Leaky Top (Again) You're kidding right? No, no I'm Serious

For those who cringed the last time they saw that thread, I'm sorry to say "It's back!"

Not clear yet whether it's the front washers which I haven't replaced with correct hardware, the rear rebuild only lasted 2 years, or the garage has been keeping me from issue (e.g. standing water (i.e. snow))

Currently up and drying, although there is still more snowpack melting on the roof and probably into the roof. Nothing like having drip buckets inside the SMB.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #2

Re: Leaky Top (Again) You're kidding right? No, I'm Serious (2)

Business Model:
Build something that most people will never use
other than to go to the local KOA

Make sure it looks cool

Now, that is about 95% of sales (s.w.a.g.)

The other 5%, well.....

95% customer satisfaction is a good business model

Too bad we fall into the 5% group.....

I spent $6,000 and have been waiting since August for someone to get back to me.....

p.s.
there were 3 owners hanging when i was there
not a smiling lot.....
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #3

Sorry to hear it. Mine just developed a leak. (or it just started raining after a record drought). I'm pretty confident that the top is sealed up so I can't think through where it might be getting in. The new Thule tracks are all outside the canvas.

I'm going to have to put a sprinkler up there and look for the drips. Sucks.

Good luck.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #4

Must say this would be my main fear of cutting the roof open of my van!
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #5

Yep, me too. I joined this forum for ideas about what to do. The water is causing damage to the headliner. The screws are pulling out and I'm afraid to replace them. Don't want to poke through the top and create more leaks.
Sounds like from a warranty standpoint don't hold my breath. I think I will suck it up and go Line-X also.
bendbile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

When looking for the leak make sure you pay attention to the level of your rig when it leaks. I was getting a leak when camped and in front of my house, but when it was backed into the driveway it would never leak.

The normal entry point for leaks are the bolts that go through the top to hold it on and/or bolts to hold up penthouse bed. The first thing to check is that the black cap shown in the photo below. Without the cap, it just seems like a place for water to pool. The main seal is butyl rubber underneath the large fender washer. When I replaced mine I also used some extra butyl between the washers. Another important thing to look out for is that the washer is sitting flush with the top, that was the main failing point in my roof.

I have also replaced some of the interior screws with a slightly larger size, and ones that are not self-tapping. I haven't had any problems since fixing the leak a couple of years ago and I live in sunny Oregon.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

My guess is it is the front hardware which I haven't addressed yet. The incorrect washers were used by SMB and the back set is where water pools- I have a big depression pretty much over the J hook in back.

There is no reason to assume the front washers should leak any less than the old rear ones, however the front is never under water... except when there was 2' of melting snow on my top.

The only stretch is that coming in the front, the water had to migrate inside the top layers, from the front to the back. Since this is the natural lie of the top profile (I assume the top inside follows the outside where runs back and pools around the J-hook) I think I could believe that.

I have had all the necessary hardware and butyl in boxes for 2 years, but I've been lucky enough to have a garage and not suffered any leaks. I need to closely inspect my top and previous butyl washer, butyl, washer, butyl, butyl, nut, butyl, cap sandwiches in the back but I'm going to do the front washers when it's nice weather and I have time.