Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Logging Stats...

OK, so we should be taking ownership of our SMB in the next 10 days or so.... In preparation we are trying to make sure we are ready to keep the important stats logged.

We know we want to keep track of fueling, odometer readings and fuel economy.

We have also seen that folks are keeping track of days of use and nights slept in.

What are the stats you keep track of?
What do we need to remember to keep track of?

Thanks,

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #2

Don't worry about the stats we might keep. Keep the stats you want or need. Whatever interests you.

You might choose to monitor tire pressure or vehicle weight with various loads, that's ok.

I track fuel usage. Date, Qty, Location, Cost and Miles in a small black book (ok, binder). I sum the Qty, Cost and Miles at the bottom of each page and keep a running total. No real reason, I've just always done it - for the past 30+ years. I used track road and weather conditions; mountains, rain and wind, flat road, etc.; to see what affect it has on mileage. But, I got tired of tracking road and weather, so I stopped that.

When I see mileage drop on 2 or more consecutive tanks I try to figure out why. But, I never worry about a single tank, it could be off quite a bit just from pump to pump differences - one pump could shutoff early giving good fuel economy, while the next fillup would need more fuel because of the prior early shutoff and give poor fuel economy.

Sorry, it looks like I was rambling. But, that's why I track my fuel use, because I want to, not because somebody else might use it. Actually, if I had to do for somebody else it would seem like work and I would find a way to not do it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Sam

Greg:

I recently read an article on fueling. I'm not sure who put it out but in there, it was suggested to fuel in the morning hours & run the pump at it's slowest setting. The reason for the morning fueling was the that the density of the fuel was greater at that time giving you more fuel. It's impossible to always fuel in the morning but you can fuel at the pumps slowest speed each time. I've been trying it to see if I can notice a difference. It's too early to tell. I also fill-up when my tank is half full to keep moisture in the tank at a minimum.

As for gas mileage, I track mine. If there is a change towards the minus, I check to see what if anything has changed.

My wife & I keep a journal on our lives. Where we have gone & anything that has happened that we feel is important enough to write about. Someday, we can look back over it & relive the memories both good & bad. Wish we would have started the journal earlier in our lives.

Track on!

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #4

We keep track of only where we go, the dates, and sometimes how long it takes to get there. We also include notes about wildflowers, fall colors, etc. which might impact when we go next time. We occasionally note the numbers of good campsite, especially where there are reservations.

Bottom line, we only track information that we might want later in planning future trips...
Old 05-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
THe idea of the question is to get ideas and hints from those that have gone before us... to hear what has been fun or interesting or important to keep track of....

We are already planning on keeping track of :

Gallons of Fuel by purchase
mileage driven since last fill up
odometer reading at fillup
Fuel economy

days SMB is out of the driveway
nights slept in SMB

Games the SMB attends

Where and when photos are taken

and of course the all the appropriate journey info.

Any suggestions?
What do you liketo keep track of?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #6

I've always kept a Rand McNallly atlas of the US in my vehicle and I trace my trip with colored markers and note dates, who was with me, places I've found to camp. It's amazing how much I forget if I leave it to the end of the trip. On a new trip I can make sure and head for untraveled roads, plus if I want to help a friend plan an excursion, showing them the maps of the states is more informative than just mentioning this or that route.
All this logging of info is left over from being a military brat going across country every couple of years. In fact, putting a kid in charge of milage, receipts and map reading is a great way to get them interested in travel, math and keeping a budget. It was always an honor to be the "co-pilot" in our family.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
I don’t keep much of a travel log out on the road but usually write up minor notes. Much research is done prior to the trip. Knowing the phone numbers of a good tow service can be invaluable. Phone books of the area are nice. On a long journey I do take notes. I use my computer as the notepad. I always track all the road and trails I take to the computers GPS, rating them so if I have to return I know where I have been and how difficult it was. This applies to congested areas I detour around as well. The software has icons. For instance the last 2 weekends I have been fishing up around Sonora Pass. The good spots on the river I find will get marked with a fish. If I pass a spot with diesel I use that icon. Same with a good restaurant, it gets a fork/spoon symbol, and stores for supplies get marked. I always find the best campgrounds or boon dock spots and write a word doc to describe it. I don’t mind an empty campground. There I note the best sites, plus facilities such as water or restrooms and if it’s real nice it also gets a fire symbol on the GPS map that designates a good place to return to. I also show where my Sirius radio works. If I pass a good parts store I list it in case something goes bad. When I get home, I write up a trip report if it’s out of the ordinary and add the photos. Photos actually help write the report. I too add up the fuel usage but never get heavily fixed on that.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote