Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #171

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Nice job (as usual)! Did you move the old driver's side tire mount to the passenger side as the base for the generator box? I've been thinking of doing that on mine, too (well, getting another tire mount). Would be nice to be able to run an outside box, but I don't want to spend the $$$ on an Aluminess setup.

EDIT: Just looked at your gallery and I guess you had that box setup before moving to the Aluminess carrier. If you want to sell the old spare tire mount, let me know...
Gotcha. Yes, to be clear, I built the right side one earlier, just for the generator. I'm waiting on Aluminess to build me a swing out for that side as we speak. They aren't too bad at $600ish per side if you compare it to how many ever thousands the full swing out bumpers cost.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #172

Quote:
There was much less drama mounting this one, except for a really good fit I had to notch out the Reunel for the Aluminess carrier. This involved lots more grinding and cutting, then REsanding, REpriming and REpainting. Ughhh. Anyway, finally on.
Where did you need to "notch out" the Reunel bumper?
Did you get this Aluminess spare tire rack (for a "stock rear bumper") :

I'm looking towards this same solution for my Reunel, and in looking at the Aluminess website, it there is a portion that mounts between the bumper and the frame, with a spacer on the opposite side?
Did it install cleanly with the holes all lining up, or did you need to modify that as well?

Thanks

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
AluminessFordSpareMount.jpg  
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #173

Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Phil, yes that's the one I have. Yes, there is a spacer on the passenger side, which I hope to replace with a 2nd carrier for my generator soon. Yes, the bolt holes are factory drilled for Ford bumpers, no modification there. My bumpers and Aluminess carrier came to me used and I never saw them on the van they were on, but they were mounted there without the notching I did. When I was mounting everything up, before I notched the bumper out, it just looked like not notching it would put the bumper way too far out back, resulting in a breakup of the lines of the van and a big gap between body and bumper. I took some lousy iPhone pics, not sure what you can see, but I basically cut three notches for the center bolt plate and the two angled supports on the Aluminess, so small notch, big notch, small notch.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #174

Thanks Scotty, for the info - it helps a lot! I've made contact with Aluminess and I think I'm gonna bite the bullet.

Your explanation and photos help a lot and clarify it to me.

Last question(s) - The plate and spacer thickness? I'm surmising about 3/8" ?
Also, did the holes under the frame members still line up with the 2 Reunel holes? Or did those need modification (i.e. enlarging?)?
I've attached a couple photos if my question is not clear.

Thanks again - great looking bumper finish and install

Phil

Attached Thumbnails
ReunelBumperOldMaekup.jpg   BumperMount2Small.jpg  
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #175

Hey Scotty
Not sure what you are planning for the other side but I just picked up this one off CL. The seller said it was a one off from Aluminess. Thought it was cool because it doubles as a bike rack.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414558047.912365.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414558079.376281.jpg  
Skyl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverForkPhil
Thanks Scotty, for the info - it helps a lot! I've made contact with Aluminess and I think I'm gonna bite the bullet.

Your explanation and photos help a lot and clarify it to me.

Last question(s) - The plate and spacer thickness? I'm surmising about 3/8" ?
Also, did the holes under the frame members still line up with the 2 Reunel holes? Or did those need modification (i.e. enlarging?)?
I've attached a couple photos if my question is not clear.

Thanks again - great looking bumper finish and install

Phil
No problem Phil, glad to help. I'll have to measure the plate thickness of the plate, and I also want to take a pic or two for you on how the Aluminess moves the rear bumper out a little. It's my least favorite thing about this bumper since, IMO, the Reunel changes the rear look of the van too much already. It's a little boxy to me, but the other advantages of the bumper outweigh it. Someday I'll have an Aluminess maybe, someday. On the bolt holes under the bottom, on my van only 1 of those huge bolts matched up (per side), so I'm going with only one right now. I will be drilling the second and adding it soon, but I think the bumper is pretty well attached for now until I have a heavy trailer or something. My van is a 95 and I had a 2002 before with different bolt holes, so the bolt holes are different on some year models. A quick call to Reunel might answer your question definitively on what exact years their bumpers are drilled for, or they might offer a choice. I kept the receiver from my 2002 when I sold it and I was pretty pissed when I found out it wouldn't bolt right up to the 95.

Stay tuned for an update with more info.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #177

@skyl330, that's sweet! I love it.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #178

LED awning light mod

viewtopic.php?p=140959#p140959

Old 12-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #179

I'm almost out to the end of my to-do list on my van, but the original 9(?) gallon water tank wasn't cutting it, especially since I added an outside shower and a hot water heater. I removed my rear transferflow tank which was rusty and leaking, cleaned it up under there, and this was the space I had to work with.

Cold climate SMB owners will naturally ask why I would put a water tank there, outside, and not put an underfloor storage there or something. Well, to be honest, because having more water capacity when and where we use our van is more important. I am going to price a tank heat strip, but we don't do a lot of camping, or traveling, when it's below freezing, and she really wanted the space under the gaucho where the old tank was. Also, every RV I've ever owned, which I will admit were not 4 season campers, all have the water tanks hanging out in the open like this. It probably wouldn't hurt if it froze there anyway, it would surely rupture a line somewhere instead.

This 25 gallon fresh water tank was only $69 shipped on Ebay, and fits the space perfectly.

It leaves just enough space for my air compressor and tank, and has nearly tripled our fresh water, all while lowering the water tank weight (#225 or so) a good bit. I built a simple H angle frame to support it and used long grade 5 bolts. This was actually a pretty simple upgrade.

Space for my air compressor and tank

Hangs no more than an inch or so below the height of the bumper. I'm still considering a skid plate of some kind. The plumbing you see may or may not be permanent. I don't really like that pipe and valve right there under the spring hanger

Air compressor is done too. I'll post some pics in a day or two.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #180

Nice! I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to add more water.. Did you replace your original tank, or are you adding this in? How are you plumbing it?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote