Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #11

Re: Looking for advice

I would suggest you find some vans with fixed tops to stand in and lie on the beds. Not sure what my top is but I'm about 6'2" and I can stand flat footed in my 96 Dodge fixed top. Most comfortable standing directly below the vantastic fan with it off (adds about an inch of clearance) Also our bed (about 66" x 48") in the back has some little cut outs in the side (add about 2-3 inches each side) which let me sleep toes pointed diagonally across the bed. Luckily my co-pilot fits in the remaining space.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
rnj

I believe my van is similar to Sierrasclimbers. I also 2-3” cut outs along the sides for the bed to fit across the back. My mattress is 70” long but it is only 66” long usable and I sleep diagonally on it. I stay in it 2-3 nights a week in lieu of commuting everyday.

I think I may have a lower contempo top than some of the others as my van is about 5'4" inside. I wanted a lower hardtop to not look so much like a camper van. Mine top also looks less rounded than other pictures of contempo’s I’ve seen.

I'm 5'8"so I tilt my head down when I walk around, it’s not too bad. I do have a carpeted floor and headliner so that may decrease the interior height. The Fantastic Fan in back looks about 3" thick so I think my headliner is at least an inch thick if not more.

I think it was an option to lower the floor on earlier Dodge vans but not Fords.

Randy
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrasclimber
Also our bed (about 66" x 48") in the back has some little cut outs in the side (add about 2-3 inches each side) which let me sleep toes pointed diagonally across the bed. Luckily my co-pilot fits in the remaining space.

Sierrasclimber or RNJ, what are these 2-3 inch cutouts you are referring to? Can either of you post a photo? I am 6'2" and my feet hang off the bed.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #14

Steve,

I have those little cutouts also. Basically, when a dinette sits sideways (seating along the passenger/driver sidewalls) it can be used as a bed. When the seat cushions are pushed together, the back cushions lower down to make the rest of the bed. At the wall, beyond the back cushions the wall is recessed to make the bed longer. It winds up being right at 6'0". Which means it is enough for someone 5'8" or 5'9" to fit comfortably. 5'10" and up sleep diagonally or curled up.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
rnj

Steve,

I just have a bed across the back with storage underneath. My cutouts are from just above the mattress to the mattress platform and goes all the way to the back of the van. Based on what Mike is saying it sounds like on a rear dinette the cutouts may go higher when made into a bed so there may be more width. The top of my bed could also be higher than the level of dinette seats.

You can see the cutouts in the following pictures in my gallery: Passengers Side - Looking Rear Passenger Side, Looking Rear Doors Open, & Electric Radiator Heater. Driver’s side- Drawers Drivers Side Rear. You can see the end of the cutout on the left side just to the left of the wires for my heated blanket & mattress pad right below the lower window sill.

Basically the side walls are thicker throughout the van except by my mattress.

Randy
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote