Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #21

Re: Losing a lot of water through overflow while driving?

I think you've got room under there to just raise it. Looking closely at your pics, and having just redone all my plumbing, I think you can just pull the drain pipe up from the floor until it is touching the bottom of the seat and stick a piece of wood under it or something to try and see if it helps. First, this is free and a simple test. Second, SMB just leaves those pipes through the floor loose. I would look under the van and see where it comes out. I'm betting you'll see 3-4 inches (at least) of pipe sticking through the floor, so you probably don't risk pulling it all the way through. Even if you do, it won't mess anything up. It is a rigid pipe so just push it back through. Just tug on it from up top and get it as high as you can and you will minimize if not completely stop the leakage. Prop it up with a stick of wood and go for a drive. I would at least try this before you start spending money on replumbing. I used tape on mine but it is right up against the side of the tank. I'll see if I can get a pic of what I mean, but mine is now under the van where the spare used to be, so not sure if I can get a decent pic of it due to the frame.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt

I'll have to read up on water check valves. Rallypanam mentioned that as a possible solution when we were camping last weekend - need to look in to that.

Check valve is not a good idea because the overflow line works in both ways.
1-air out: while filling-and water out if it is full and you still try to fill it up > you need it only if you fill up with your city water hook up
Also the water will expand if you fill it in cold and then stay in the sun for a while > tank will blow up
2-air in: if you suck water out with your pump, and if the water cools down if the tempereatur drops down

Of course you can ignore point 1 but then you have to open the inside filler cap while hook up the city water. If you forget this only one time you damage the tank and have a lot of water in your van
Wonder what keeps bugs and debris from being sucked into the tank from outside? A filter? Obviously I've never paid much attention to how it operates.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #23

gcvt: I'm still trying to understand all the systems in our SMB that we've had for 5 months. This thread encouraged me to spend some quality time checking out the fresh water supply, plus the falling temps have got me to thinking it's time to winterize. I noticed our tank has the air relief plumbing make a big square loop on top of the tank before heading down to the drain. I drew an approximation of what we have on your picture and attached it. Don't know if that would solve your problem but it looks like it might help by making it harder for the water to splash out.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #24

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

My 30 gal. tank is under the floor of the van and my vent tube goes all the way up inside my tail light housing and loops back down with a filter on it. I no longer lose water on steep off-road hills like I used to.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I think you've got room under there to just raise it. Looking closely at your pics, and having just redone all my plumbing, I think you can just pull the drain pipe up from the floor until it is touching the bottom of the seat and stick a piece of wood under it or something to try and see if it helps. First, this is free and a simple test. Second, SMB just leaves those pipes through the floor loose. I would look under the van and see where it comes out. I'm betting you'll see 3-4 inches (at least) of pipe sticking through the floor, so you probably don't risk pulling it all the way through. Even if you do, it won't mess anything up. It is a rigid pipe so just push it back through. Just tug on it from up top and get it as high as you can and you will minimize if not completely stop the leakage. Prop it up with a stick of wood and go for a drive. I would at least try this before you start spending money on replumbing. I used tape on mine but it is right up against the side of the tank. I'll see if I can get a pic of what I mean, but mine is now under the van where the spare used to be, so not sure if I can get a decent pic of it due to the frame.

Well, that would be a very easy and free thing to try. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. There's a bunch of silicone where to overflow goes through the floor, but if this idea works, it'd be cheap to re-silicone it to seal it up and help keep it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm
gcvt: I'm still trying to understand all the systems in our SMB that we've had for 5 months. This thread encouraged me to spend some quality time checking out the fresh water supply, plus the falling temps have got me to thinking it's time to winterize. I noticed our tank has the air relief plumbing make a big square loop on top of the tank before heading down to the drain. I drew an approximation of what we have on your picture and attached it. Don't know if that would solve your problem but it looks like it might help by making it harder for the water to splash out.
Definitely don't have the clearance to add any plumbing on top of the tank but it's a great idea!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Wonder what keeps bugs and debris from being sucked into the tank from outside? A filter? Obviously I've never paid much attention to how it operates.
Good question. Never thought about that. In my case, it's probably the seven gallons of water constantly flowing out while I'm driving that keeps things from entering the system

Seriously though, I'll be looking at that tomorrow when I'm messing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
My 30 gal. tank is under the floor of the van and my vent tube goes all the way up inside my tail light housing and loops back down with a filter on it. I no longer lose water on steep off-road hills like I used to.
Sounds like a nice setup. Must be nice to be able to carry that much water considering where you go. What kind of filter are we talking about here?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #27

My thought, and I have no idea if such a thing exists... But what about a two way pressure valve that would open with more than a couple PSI... Otherwise stay closed. Does this thing exist?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #28
Site Team

Garage

Well I couldn't help remember this picture and really don't want anything crawling in there.

Attached Thumbnails
mouse 4.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #29
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

If you've got an inch above your tank, Sbgrimm's drawing of the vent tube will solve your issues, you need to look at the drawing the right way, it doesn't stick up, it lays flat against your tank up top with a few 90* elbows making the bends at the corners of the tank. I would not put an inline check valve, 2 way or otherwise on your vent tube, you just need to get the vent tubing to have a loop above your tank. You could cut that tubing right before the 3rd 90*, rotate the stub so its vertical, so that it doubles back then hook it up from there through the floor. Or get some appropriately sized flexible tubing for the whole thing, clamp it on, make a few loops taped on top of the tank then fed through the floor.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #30

[quote="daveb"]Well I couldn't help remember this picture and really don't want anything crawling in there.

Really? Sunday morning before breakfast? Think I might be fasting the rest of today!