Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #1

Losing a lot of water through overflow while driving?

1997 with an 18-20g tank. I fill up and by the time we reach our destination (normally 2-3 hours) I’m always down by almost 1/3. If there were leaks anywhere, I assume I would notice. Definitely no leaks inside because everything is dry. Is it logical that I could lose that much water out of the overflow just while driving?

This is the only picture I have of my system at the moment but can get a more detailed one this weekend if it would help…

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #2

Re: Losing a lot of water through overflow while driving?

Hmmm...interesting. I'm assuming your overflow is the dark colored part in the lower right corner of the photo?

I have an 08 build, and my water tank (16 gal?) has an overflow outlet in a similar place. The difference is that my overflow outlet has a few feet of PEX piping attached making a couple tight U-turns before it empties out of the van floor. I haven't seen any drastic water loss driving over some very washboarded roads around here.

I can post a pic of my tank's overflow if you want. Just ask.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #3

I agree with photographix. I think your water is sloping arount. As your overflow is on the long side of the tank this also is bad. You need to add a "high U" (Standing on the head) with a more more less diameter.
I had the same problem. I had no "U" but the overflow was on the small side. On road i also lost about 1/3 of water. Now even off road i loose max 1/2 gal when the tank is complete full
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
Hmmm...interesting. I'm assuming your overflow is the dark colored part in the lower right corner of the photo?

I have an 08 build, and my water tank (16 gal?) has an overflow outlet in a similar place. The difference is that my overflow outlet has a few feet of PEX piping attached making a couple tight U-turns before it empties out of the van floor. I haven't seen any drastic water loss driving over some very washboarded roads around here.

I can post a pic of my tank's overflow if you want. Just ask.
My overflow is at the upper right corner of the tank in the photo - right in front of the wheel hump by the seatbelt. Don’t have any connections or hoses at the other end of the tank near the fridge at bottom right. I think the dark thing you’re referring to is just a piece of steel that supports the bed and/or helps hold the tank in place. I’ll get a better photo of the setup tomorrow.

When filling, I open the grey valve up by the lug wrench on the floor near the fuses/relays. From that area, a tube crosses over to the area where the overflow comes out of the tank. From there it all joins together and exits through the floor of the van.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
I agree with photographix. I think your water is sloping arount. As your overflow is on the long side of the tank this also is bad. You need to add a "high U" (Standing on the head) with a more more less diameter.
I had the same problem. I had no "U" but the overflow was on the small side. On road i also lost about 1/3 of water. Now even off road i loose max 1/2 gal when the tank is complete full
So I can install what amounts to a miniature version of a household plumbing 'P-trap', in the same diameter as the SMB hoses, in this area to fix the problem?

And while I've got the picture up, what the heck do people store in those recessed storage areas behind the goucho bed? Booze?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt

So I can install what amounts to a miniature version of a household plumbing 'P-trap', in the same diameter as the SMB hoses, in this area to fix the problem?

And while I've got the picture up, what the heck do people store in those recessed storage areas behind the goucho bed? Booze?
]

I have no pictures of mine but the overflow line should make a loop to a point as high as possible and it must be higher than your tank.
I use the store area for ma sleeping bags. They are built in to widen the area on the goucho you have to sleep
Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #7

I made a quick picture so maybe it is better to understand than my worse english ;-)

My solution was like this. I have other connectors and water lines in. But with yours it also should be possible.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2737.jpg  
Old 11-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

My old trailer used to do the same. You could see the water spurting from the tank vent while rounding right-hand curves. My new trailer doesn't do it. I assume they added some sort of check valve, since it seems I arrive with all 100 gallons on board.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

Clearly you need to buy all the fancy PEX tools, tubing, and a large fitting collection so you can fix this.

And then lend them to me whenever I need them.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Clearly you need to buy all the fancy PEX tools, tubing, and a large fitting collection so you can fix this.

And then lend them to me whenever I need them.
I agree with Rob, since my philosophy has always been that it is much better to have a friend with a boat than having one yourself.

Howbout just simply adding in a valve in your overflow line? Just remember to open it when filling and close it when you're full. Maybe someone can weigh in on whether not there would be any pressure buildup, but I don't think it would be a big deal. In fact, after you use a little of your water, just open it back up and leave it open, just remember to close it after you fill all the way back up again.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_314737-61002-AP ... Id=3851789

All you need is two crimp clamps and one of these. I have mixed Appolo Pex stuff with my gray SMB plastic plumbing and it does fine, just don't crimp the clamps all the way to 'max' or they will pop. I go about halfway down with the crimpers and release them.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote