Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

Metallurgy -Aluminum, to be specific

Have Aluminess bumpers. On the rear box swingout, he tab with a hole in it (for using a pad lock to lock it to the left side) on the right swing out is bent straight up at a 90 degree. Guessing was done on purpose by the PO to keep the tab from slamming into the rear door if he backed into something. Thinking of bending it back down. If steel, I wouldn't be concerend. However, worried I'll crack/snap the thick aluminum. Any good welders/machinist here have a good idea if I should attempt this? I have a fab solution to employ if I leave it bent, but would rather return the tab to its orig location. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #2

You better ask Aluminess. It really depends on what aluminum alloy was used. Some can be bent once, some many times and some never.

My guess would be - look at the bend very carefully, if you see any stress cracks in the aluminum at the bend, forget it! If the metal is still smooth and intact, then you could try. I would hope the metal is ductile enough to bend it back, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #3

Its smooth. Until yesterday, thought it came that way and I was just missing an angled bracket of some sort. The bottom latch is busted off completely. New one coming from Aluminess. Since I can't weld Alumn, going to take it into a welder to have it mounted. Think I'll have them weld the tab back on if I break it off. Thanks.

Called Aluminess: Its 6061. Will probably break, but will give it a shot anyway as not very usable as it is now. Will ahve a shop re-weld if needed.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #4

I'd have the shop reweld anyway. Even if it doesn't break it will be significantly weaker.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #5

Yea, you're right. I need to buy a big Miller with an alumn spool anyway.

Almost related, I saw in another thread concerns about the threaded hing bolts milling away at the swing arms. There is an easy solution (in addition to using smooth shank bolts). Will see if I can get the needed parts to make it bomb-proof and will post my results in the min-mods thread. Excited? You should be. Its brilliant. Brilliant I say!