Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Mitsubishi Fuso Based SMB

Sorry if this has been discussed before; I searched and couldn't find anything. Someone on the Yahoo Provan Tiger discussion board forwarded two pics to me that he had received in an email from Alan Feld, stating they are pics of a demonstration Fuso SMB built for last year's Overland Expo. I tried to attach them but they are around 3900 pixels wide by 2600 pixels high and upload attachments here can be only 900 x 900 max. If anyone wants to have them forwarded to you, give me an address. If anyone knows how I can reduce the size of these on an 8 year old iBook G4 and get them uploaded here, let me know.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Re: Mitsubishi Fuso Based SMB

If you open them in preview, can you click on the 'tools' menu, then select 'adjust size'??

That's what I do on my 6 year old mac book pro. I'd love to see this thing....
Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #3

Taken from BroncoHauler's Album found in thread for Overland Expo

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #4

(Edit: No need to open these 2 attachments. Thanks to Geoffff who posted open inline pics of them in the post following this one.)

Preview doesn't have an adjust size tool function in my old app, but I did an image capture of the image after it was opened in Preview, so I hope this works:

Well, sorry I can't seem to make them appear in the post. You'll have to download and open the PDFs. BroncoHauler's pics provide a good contrast to these as his pics all show the vehicle in unfurled camping mode. These two attachments show it in packed up travel mode, which is immensely smaller. Too bad the cab and cabin are completely unconnected with no walk through.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture 25.pdf (1.13 MB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Picture 26.pdf (1.03 MB, 12 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #5

Would love to see the inside
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

Wow, that 5ft high handrail-less rickety looking access ladder would put me in the hospital quicker than a Gnarvan rafting trip. Plus, I really need the access to the "house" part of my van.

Might as well pull a trailer. Cute concept, but not for me
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

It also has dually rear wheels. EarthRoamer, Provan Tiger, and anyone else using a base model that comes with duallies usually replaces them. They are good for towing, but not for off road; get a rock stuck between them and a blowout easily follows. Replacing with super singles is problematic because you can't air down well with them. ER, Provan, etc. usually replace with larger diameter Rickson singles.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Wow, that 5ft high handrail-less rickety looking access ladder would put me in the hospital quicker than a Gnarvan rafting trip. Plus, I really need the access to the "house" part of my van.

Might as well pull a trailer. Cute concept, but not for me
During the (very early) construction phase, I was told you would be able to get to the back from the cab. Maybe there is some kind of door for access? It looks like the main door to the living area is split into but it looks like the cab just has a window. BTW how do you get into it when it's folded down?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Scenario:

The clock strikes 6pm and the wife is driving, on back roads but still looking for a place to camp. Time for a beverage. Rather than hopping in the back, opening the 'fridge and accomodating myself, I'd have to stop, extend the top-thing, extend the ultra rickety stairs guaranteed to break my neck, get my beverage, then reverse the process and continue onward....only to repeat when we reach a campsite. I dunno about all that. I dislike moving parts and fancy mechanisms.

Rather, how about getting rid of those utility boxes under the living quarters, and just mounting a simple box on there, one that's connected to the cab. That thing looks cool as hell but is a bit impractical in my opinion. That's a silly photo of it going through that water, trying to look all tough. My sister's Dodge Neon could drive through that.

On that note, today I ran (with my feet) up the Como Lakes Road, Blanca Peak, outside Alamosa, CO. Some of you low range masters should rally up that thing, it's amazing.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #10

It also looks like the CG is very high, with all the storage bays below the living box. That, combined with the narrow rear track could really cause some issues on rough terrain.