Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

More questions...

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still looking for a RB50-style campervan and am currently looking at a 2013 Pleasure-way Traverse. It's very low miles (under 5,000), and they're asking $47,000 for it. That's more than I was planning to spend, but still within my overall budget. Can you give me a reality check, though, and let me know if it's a reasonable price. (It's a Ford E150, 4.6L EFI V8.)

The one thing that's worrying me a little about the later-year Traverses is the lack of an air conditioner. I live in the South and worry that not having a Starcool system (or something similar) would limit my travels too much (locally - I do plan to follow the weather eventually, but that may be a few years down the road still).

From what I've researched, the build quality of the Traverse may be better than the Sportsmobile, but the top and the air conditioner are better on the Sportsmobile.

Any advice?

Thank you for your time and help (again!).

Journey

MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Re: More questions...

It's practically brand new! I wouldn't want to speak definitively on the cost, but seems high to me. I'd be more concerned about the power of the 4.6 in a fully loaded camper van.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

Message reelchef67 - he has an older Traverse (2002) on an E250 w/ a 5.4. He might be able to provide some insight on the weight of his build, which I believe are all identical (i.e., no customization from Pleasure Way).

Cheers,
Brent
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

I would be concerned about the brakes and rearend on the E150 as well. The air would be a must for the south but could be added. Be patient you will find the right one.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourneys
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still looking for a RB50-style campervan and am currently looking at a 2013 Pleasure-way Traverse. It's very low miles (under 5,000), and they're asking $47,000 for it. That's more than I was planning to spend, but still within my overall budget. Can you give me a reality check, though, and let me know if it's a reasonable price. (It's a Ford E150, 4.6L EFI V8.)

The one thing that's worrying me a little about the later-year Traverses is the lack of an air conditioner. I live in the South and worry that not having a Starcool system (or something similar) would limit my travels too much (locally - I do plan to follow the weather eventually, but that may be a few years down the road still).

From what I've researched, the build quality of the Traverse may be better than the Sportsmobile, but the top and the air conditioner are better on the Sportsmobile.

Any advice?

Thank you for your time and help (again!).

Journey
Hi I have 2002 traverse (looks like new as it was garaged most of its life)
Pricewise I think new they were about 65k canadian and were built on made to order basis mostly.
I paid 27k for my 2002 last july . Albeit is in exceptional shape for its age , the seller has
several people interested I was in it I was lucky to be first in line. They are very rare to see them for sale at least that has been my experience.

Mine is a 5.4, which is small as I would want for driving in the mountains around vancouver etc.
A 4.6 might be fine for you depending where u will take it.
Build quality is very high , the electrical and plumbing is very tidy and well thought out.
They should fit t2 27 series batteries in the battery box however I would only Agms as they are right under the bed in a sealed box vented to the outside.
They are classic westfalia style layout which feels very open once front seat swivelled around and side doors open. Kind of like a living room in small condo..
I have a wife and a daughter and a dog and we fit very well in it.
The traverse has very love profile top( same height as stock van) which fits inside many parkades and garages.

Apparently you van still get the rear door air conditioner kit from pleasureway and put a 90$ walmart air con unit in.
They only stopped doing it as standard as air con units seem only to last 3-4 years as they are not designed for mobile use. However they are cheap and easy to replace compared 3000 dollar starcool.
Or some fans to move air around. Also made some reflectix window covers for inside.
They dont usually have running hot water but mine was an early one an 12/120 on demand water heater.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #6

Thanks for all your help, guys! I remember reading here a while back that the newer 150 equal the older 250, so I just researched and found this:

"Ford killed the light duty E150 in 2007, I believe, and the E150 now has a payload of well over 3000 lbs, 8 lug wheels, truck tires etc. Basically, it has a larger payload than the base 250's from years past. They got the GVW over 8500 lbs so they are free of the EPA mileage rules."

and:

"All E-150's, 250's and 350's now share the exact same brakes, frames, etc...The difference between the E-150 and the E-250 is the 250's rear spring has a little more arch to it so I'm sure the payload is a little more."

Both of the comments above were posted in a different forum in 2010.

Does this change your opinion about the way it will handle? I definitely won't be off-roading, but I'd like it to be able to handle driving through the mountains under a normal load.

Thank you, again.

Journey
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
I would be concerned about the brakes and rearend on the E150 as well. The air would be a must for the south but could be added. Be patient you will find the right one.
Brakes will be the same ones used all the way up to an E450 (except vacuum boosted instead of hyrdro boosted). Rearend is the same between the newer E150s and E350s.

4.6L is sufficient IMO if you don't tow. Or nothing heavy at least. It'll certainly move the van at least, just not as quickly as a 5.4L.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:22 AM   #8

I wasn't aware of the brake and rearend changes.The last ford I owned Was a 1999. Sorry for the misinfo.
Good Luck
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

Garage

We paid almost that much for our conversion and van a couple years ago, with only 5000 miles and a factory conversion I doubt you will find one much cheaper, except maybe a private sale.

Our 5.4l does fine with our 24" high fixed roof towing 1000 lb. I'm thinking the smaller V8 would be OK with the lower top and no towing.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

I just double-checked and found out it doesn't have rear air. I've had a van (minivan) without rear air before, and whew... really don't think I want a van without rear air again. The only way the back passengers were comfortable was if the front passengers were freezing. I know I sound wimpy, but after dealing with 100+ temps lately, it's probably a deal breaker for me. Still thinking about it, but...