Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #11

Re: Most Adventurous Off Pavement Destinations Possible 2WD SMB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotFree
.....A side note to TomH, I've heard that Sprinters have anti-rollover controls built in the computer that controls braking & suspension. But you have an overall height clearance limitation; narrow forest service roads often have low over-hanging tree branches. And with 2WD, even a tame road can turn nasty if the weather changes. Preciptition Happens.
Those are very good points. I hadn't thought about the tree limbs, but that's obviously true. The rollover controls are for skids-probably won't do much good if I misjudge the CG while running one side of the van up on a high berm while trying to negotiate a narrow cleft in granite on the Rubicon. I'm starting to think I'll have to wait and see how many options Ford offers on the (big) Transit once it arrives here. Converting a Sprinter to 4x4 is astronomical in cost. Hopefully the US Transit version will have an efficient diesel and 4x4, or at least AWD, as options and it won't all add up to a king's ransom.

I don't mind the direction the thread has taken, as it is all good info. to learn, however I still welcome anyone's opinions on destinations. I'll be getting all the books recommended by Charlie56, but it's still nice to hear the opinions of actual Sportsmobile owners about their favorite places they could get to in 2WD as well as all the amazing things I'd miss by not having 4wd. (I think I'm trying to get you guys to talk me into the 4x4-gimme enough ammo that I can talk my wife into believing it's a justifiable cost)

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #12

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to a rear locker vs. 4x4, but would like to know if a rear locker will be helpful in sand, mud, snow, or ice? I guess I am thinking a rear locker will be great for bouldering and dry conditions, but once things get slippery will it still be as beneficial?
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #13

Even more so in slippery conditions.

You won't even know you have it in the dry. With slippery conditions such as snow, ice, mud or sand as soon as one wheel begins to slip a normal, open diff will have you stuck, unless momentum can carry you forward. With a locker, both wheels continue to drive you forward regardless.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
Site Team

Gotta disagree. Lockers on ice more or less guarantees you'll be moving laterally.

Herb
Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Gotta disagree. Lockers on ice more or less guarantees you'll be moving laterally.
So ice I'll be sure to go with chains. Everything else ,though, the rear lockers will make a big enough difference to justify the expense? I keep hearing about the dodge frame not holding up as well as ford or chevy, but do not plan to do extensive 4x4ing. Just want enough to get my to that hard to reach campsite off the forest service rd.
So what kind of price am I looking at for a Cambridge lift and a rear Detroit locker installed? Would that be the ideal set up? Also, how complicated would this be with a dodge since places like Salem and advanced won't even conver a dodge van to 4x4?
I've asked this question in other threads so apologize if this is breaking forum etiquette, but figure the more opinions I get the better. Many thanks,
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Herb
lockers also affect the steering depending on which type you use.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limited- ... ntials.htm

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #17

I am eventually going to get a heavier rear (with a locker) than the Ford 8.8 with normal diff on my Quigley 150. When looking for a locker alone I was led to these guys in Cali:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... t_4x4.aspx

who quoted me a very decent price for a complete rear end with a locking, heavy duty, Ford 9 inch diff. Might be worth talking to them when the time comes, they were very helpful and knowledgeable and seemed to have very reasonable prices.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote