Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
I just want to emphasize a point that Brian made, and that is to make sure you have some way to hook a tow strap to the front of your van. On my 2007 (with stock front bumper) I was dismayed to find absolutely NOTHING at the front end of the van that I could connect to. I ended up buying an Aluminess bumper just so I could have stout attachment points up front. If you have a receiver hitch for the rear, that's all you need.
People are friendly up there and will be willing to help you if you need to get unstuck - but unless you have something to hook to front and rear, they won't be able to help. Believe me, those stock bumpers are just for show!

Ahaha. I've already towed a few people and gotten towed out by looping a strap around the I-beam. I might look into a front receiver though for the bike rack...

maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
You will see snow at both ends of your trip, possibly substantial, so be prepared for it. And cold temps too. Snow tires would definitely be good for driving up and back, but if you have a newer set of AT tires plus tire chains that would work too. Either way invest in a good set of chains. If it were me I’d buy new AT tires and skip the all-terrains and the snow tires. Or just use the Blizzaks for the entire trip and write it off as a cost of the trip. Bring a tow strap and a small snow shovel in case you need to extricate yourself. Ideally have a fixed tow point front and rear (Harbor Freight has fairly inexpensive tow hooks you can add).

If you plan on taking the Cassiar Hwy up from BC be aware that services are less available than in the Alaska Hwy route. In winter I’d figure out a way to take along a few five gallon fuel cans. Buy the current version of The Milepost guide, too, listing services and road conditions. Don’t assume you’ll have cell phone signal everywhere. Add a CB radio to your truck, either a handheld or installed to talk to trucks if necessary.

Be sure to have appropriate survival gear with you in case you get stuck somewhere.

Go through your van and seal up any holes you may have in the body or floor. Dust and especially mosquitoes can find even the smallest openings! If you are living in the van for the summer invest in a screen door for your side door(s) and possibly front windows. Seriously, when you are in the bush the bugs can be ridiculous!!

We had really good luck finding free places to camp with the iOverlander app. Coupled with the AllStays app we found free spots probably 60% of the time on our 25-day trip from Seattle to Alaska last summer. Be aware that Alaska isn’t quite as friendly to free camping as it used to be, at least near popular sights. Anchorage is very strict and does not allow it at Walmarts, etc. We also got kicked out of a spot in Valdez at 1:00 am and almost in Seward. And unless you are VERY stealth, they will be on to you in your van. BC and Yukon have tons of free spots on the other hand and are very welcoming. Don’t count on campgrounds being open either in the shoulder seasons. See this site for a list of open Alaska state campgrounds: Park Open Status
This is all excellent advice! Thank you.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #13

* Our current itinerary looks like Boulder, CO ->Truckee, CA->Vancouver, Canaduh->Fairbanks, AK *

Whats a Canaduh ?
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
* Our current itinerary looks like Boulder, CO ->Truckee, CA->Vancouver, Canaduh->Fairbanks, AK *

Whats a Canaduh ?
There's a Vancouver Washington. I'm going to Vancouver, Canada (duh).
Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #15

https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/...817175091.html

Would this be a good tire/wheel for this trip/in general? This is going to save me a lot of money because I need to buy a spare anyway. This way I can just leave my snow tires mounted, and swap them myself.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #16

Moving To Alaska! Looking for Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/...817175091.html

Would this be a good tire/wheel for this trip/in general? This is going to save me a lot of money because I need to buy a spare anyway. This way I can just leave my snow tires mounted, and swap them myself.

Same bolt pattern but I believe the center bore (axle hole) is smaller on the GM wheels than the Ford van and they won’t fit. I was just looking into this for my van.

$100 is stupid cheap for a set of those wheels though!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Same bolt pattern but I believe the center bore (axle hole) is smaller on the GM wheels than the Ford van and they won’t fit. I was just looking into this for my van.

$100 is stupid cheap for a set of those wheels though!
Stupid cheap, and a close call on my end! I was about to pick them up. Damn. Someone else chime in if they're going to work because I want them.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #18

Having lived in Fairbanks and driven to Alasks many times, I really don't have anything to add to the excellent advice above, it's all good info. Give us a wave if you see us up there this summer.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Stupid cheap, and a close call on my end! I was about to pick them up. Damn. Someone else chime in if they're going to work because I want them.

Go and try them out! Maybe they will fit. I’m just going by the published specs, not real-world fitment.

Although it’s tempting, I suggest that you don’t go cheap on your tires if you’ll be driving any remote roads up north. One tow call could easily erase any savings you made on cheap or highly worn tires.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, that and there’s a big difference between D and E rated tires, you’ll want the heavier rated/more sidewall plies of the E on the van. Good tires though
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote